Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
galen

Allis 610...think I screwed up

galen
So i just got this Allis 610 for almost nothing, thrown rod. I had an engine off a Wheelhorse 211-5 that I swapped. After hours of work I hooked everything up and tentatively connected the power. The ammeter on the Allis immediately went to full discharge. I d/c'd the battery as quick as I could. I have everything connected as it was before, but think that my problem may be the fact that the original engine (Briggs 251707) had a dual circuit alternator and I believe the new engine (Briggs 253707) does not. I assume this means that the red lead on the Allis would be supplying 12v. to the alternator (which no longer exists)and would be sending it instead to... what? Both engines had black wires coming out next to the starter, in addition to the heavy starter wire. Why did the Allis not show a discharge with the key off? This stuff is over my head, I've always had trouble understanding charging systems...help!XX(

galen
Ok, found this... http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_222.htm Because the original was unregulated I need to add a regulator? but when I took the orig engine apart I saw no rectifier on the engine. (under flywheel?) Did I hurt anything by connecting 12 v to the charging circuit w/o a regulator? Would the best idea be to try to pull the 37 year old flywheel or add a regulator? I already bent 2 sets of puller bolts trying to get that flywheel off. Suggestions?