Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ideas need for rear ball and hitch, please

mroman59

I remember talking to a small mower parts store owner years ago. He had a love for Simplicity mowers. He was telling me that he once saw a set up where an guy used the rear lift hitch for pulling things around the yard. He said that the guy had a ball that fit into the hitch sleeve and was secured with a pin, just has you would fasten your tiller on the back. With the ball on the lift, he would back up to the ball coupler on the trailer, line it up an then lift the ball into the coupler and then drive away. This way, the ball would be easily added and removed when needed. Does anyone use this type of method? I suppose you would need to find a ball with a long enough extension that will fit into the lift hitch sleeve and then drill a hole in the place where the pin slides through to secure it. If you can not find a ball with a long extension then I assume you would have to do some welding. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, MR

Go to page 20. This will give you an idea. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aoJ2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq Do a look up in "Search the Forums" on rear ball hitch, you'll get all sorts of ideas.

Bob, I went to page 20 of the document that you provided a link for, it is talking about a Dual Lift Lever. Maybe I can post a photo to his link that would help describe what I am looking to do. In the mean time, I will search for rear ball hitch to find out if someone has already done what I would like to do. Thanks, MR

As promised. Other than the empty hole in the center of the rectangle block were the ball is mounted, this hitch is solid round and bar stock. The rectangular piece is 3/4in thick and the round stock was turned down to fit through the the hole in the rectangle block, then it was welded on both sides. The tractor will flip over before you will bend or break this hitch.
[img]http://flashandflare.hqnetwork.com/tractor_pics/sovereign_hitch_02_resize.jpg[/img]

[img]http://flashandflare.hqnetwork.com/tractor_pics/sovereign_hitch_03_resize.jpg[/img]

Here is one I built a few years back. Not only does this one move up and down with the lift, but it can be adjusted to fit the actual height of each individual trailer receiver. Since I have 4 trailers that I move around, I needed a flexible hitch design that could be configured to fit any of them. The ball mount can be loosened and moved to any position along the slot in the rear portion of the hitch seen in the pictures. Top picture is lowered and bottom picture is with the hitch raised. It works good on this tractor with a hydraulic lift.

[img]/club2/attach/HubbardRA/Hitch2.jpg[/img]

Wow, thanks guys. I like them both. All my trailers (five of them) have the swing back trailer jack that winds to the height need, so I think I need an elaborate set up like Rods, but that sure looks heavy duty and quick disconnect too. NOW you guys got me thinking and that's what its all about at this site!!!! Thanks, Mike

I saw a setup yesterday that had a home-built frame that hooks onto the back end the same way the woodchipper does: jaws over the horizontal bar at the top, and then it swings in so clevis pins at the bottom hold it down and attached. The frame holds a plate with a standard 2" female hitch sleeve welded to it, so the ball ends up about 18" back of the tractor wheels. This makes it easier to maneuver the trailer than having it closer in to the wheels. He was using it to pull a trailer of firewood at about 500kg/load.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulK
I saw a setup yesterday that had a home-built frame that hooks onto the back end the same way the woodchipper does: jaws over the horizontal bar at the top, and then it swings in so clevis pins at the bottom hold it down and attached. The frame holds a plate with a standard 2" female hitch sleeve welded to it, so the ball ends up about 18" back of the tractor wheels. This makes it easier to maneuver the trailer than having it closer in to the wheels. He was using it to pull a trailer of firewood at about 500kg/load.
Yes, good point. I haul firewood also. The tractor in the woods w trailer gets maneuvered into tight places, and in reverse, it's often very easy to cause jack-knife. Getting the trailer back farther on a longer hitch setup allows for more extreme angles. It would be nice to see pix of that setup too, if available.