Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Talntedmrgreen

Interesting Repower...HitnMiss Broadmoor

MysTiK
oooooooo myyyyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwwdd. Is this a symptom of tractor addiction or did someone just get the maintenance orders mixed up? I noticed the drag link, and the probable need for a front bumper. But why does it have a coffee grinder where the engine is supposed to be? OO :D

Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by osenga
Did you pick this up like that . Sure hope so
No, no...I woulnd't know what to do with it ^ Guy wants $750. Dunno if that's good or bad for an old Morris engine?

bnolte
I saw a few strange contraptions at the steam show, such as a 6 engine 4 hp Cub Cadet, a battery powered Triumph 10, and a Depression tractor made from a Model T rear, and a Chevy transmission, and a belt tightening clutch. Not sure what the powerplant was.

mikeman
That has to be the same one I saw at the Caro,MI tractor show about a month ago. The hit and miss actually powers it. I thought it was just stationary.

SimplicitySwede
A hit n miss enginei s a one cyliner. Fires once and makes a complete revolution and fires again. The best way to explain it i guess. Like a single cylinder small engine it runs fast and will run high RPMs. A hit n miss runs really slow. Kinda like a 2 cylinder Deere only on one cylinder

rokon2813
Jared, they can turn several cycles before firing again, depending on the load. you can also make them fire every cycle with enough load. Also, I think there were a few 2 cylinders if I'm not mistaken, the Maytags for example, though I may be confusing them with "throttle governed" There is a very good description here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit-and-miss_engine and a video here. http://videos.howstuffworks.com/howstuffworks/183-how-hit-and-miss-engines-work-video.htm

DanD
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
I know this is in the antique realm; but I have never understood the terminology.
Watching a video of one running may help to explain them better. Notice after it fires that the exhaust valve is held open until the RPM slows down enough so that the governor calls for it to fire again. [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1DT-iiHsA&feature=related

MrSteele
A hit-n-miss only fires when the governor says it is time to fire. Depending on the strength of the spring(weak) in the governor, it can be tuned to almost seem as it is not running at all, like it will coast to death before hitting again. A new, stronger spring will make the engine more responsive and fire more frequently. Under load, it will fire as any other 4 cycle engine. I've never seen a hit-n-miss engine on a lawnmower, but several throttle governed engines of the antique variety. That is one rough ride!

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Orangeman
    • abu507
    • maxwood
    • CarlH
    • tadams
    • PhanDad
  • Today's Birthdays

1. pitt
      pitt
      (53 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts