Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Free Wheeling Hydro

Modifier1

I was gong to put a BGB in the 716H but wanted to make sure the hydro was good first. At first the by pass check valve pins were not up all the way. I lubed and cleaned them up but the tractor still free wheels. I found an article by Kezen (DA917 Rolls without jacking check valves) this a different machine but would a 716H free wheel and still be undamaged?

Or just throw the BGB in and find out what I really have?

Apparently so. this link is current in Show n Tell forum - perhaps made for you. - discusses pressure leakdown on Sundstrand. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122632

Yes they will free wheel when they sit, regardless of the valves. The will free wheel easier with the valves depressed, but after they leak down they all freewheel.

Sounds like it is time to put this tractor together. It appears that this tractor has sat quite awhile. I am not much of a gambler but this sounds like the problem I have. Thanks for the input. Hey anyone have a drive shaft for a 716H? I think it is the only part left that I really need.

When I first put my 716H together, it would not move when I moved the hydro lever. I took both freewheel valves out, clamped them upside down in a vice and took a small nail through the hole in the end of the valve and tapped the ball till it moved upward in the valve and seated. Did that on both valves, and they have worked fine ever since then. I do not release them, in fact I removed the release mechanism.

Osenga that's the problem. When I Picked it up It did not have a drive shaft. The input shaft on BGB was all messed up and I pulled the flange off before I thought about measuring the distance between the flex disks. I could put the flange and disk back on and try measuring it. Maybe someone here might know. Thanks. Whats a drive shaft go for nowadays?