Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simple-kid

sickle bar question

steve-wis
I would assume if you want to be able to lift it, you need the pulley. If you could live with it always down you may get away without it, but I can't see how you can leave it down all the time and do much with it. jmho Steve

dav
may be confusing brands here but i think i got a sickle with a landlord that had a handle on the bar, no cable involved. never had it hooked up on anything so i dont know how well it worked. looked like it would be a real chore to lift canibalized some guards and teeth and resold it so cant refresh my memory.

gwiseman
quote:
Originally posted by dav
may be confusing brands here but i think i got a sickle with a landlord that had a handle on the bar, no cable involved. never had it hooked up on anything so i dont know how well it worked. looked like it would be a real chore to lift canibalized some guards and teeth and resold it so cant refresh my memory.
You're not confused. I believe Simplicity mfg#210 incorporated a handle lift while #402, #465, #538 & #548 utilized the cable lift

CarlH
You may be able to get the pulley but the bracket will be NLA. You could also get a pulley at a hardware store or McMaster Carr. Best bet for the bracket is used. They occasionally are on eBay or post a want ad here.