Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
spi

B10 oil tube

spi
What do yall do with a B10 grill cowl that came with an engine which had the oil fill in the base, when replacing with an engine with the oil fill in the block? Looks to me like a job for a hole saw. Although I don't know as I want yall to think I'm too much of a butcher. thanks for any input Jim

DaveTenney
I usually switch oil pans with the old motor so i don't have to do anything. Dave
quote:
Originally posted by spi
What do yall do with a B10 grill cowl that came with an engine which had the oil fill in the base, when replacing with an engine with the oil fill in the block? Looks to me like a job for a hole saw. Although I don't know as I want yall to think I'm too much of a butcher. thanks for any input Jim

HubbardRA
Lift the hood to check the oil. Don't understand why you need to cut a hole. Have a Kohler K321 in my 61 Wards and didn't need to hack up the hood.

spi
it's an late 60s B10 and the oil tube comes out through the frame on lower right side. The grill cowl support bolts over it. The Briggs I have has an oil tube that comes out of the block. The original engine must have had a tube that came from the base. therefore the tube doesn't align with the hole.Even if I were to replace the base ( with one I don't have) there would still be a tube, or at least a hole in the block that would be a problem. I was just hoping against odds that someone had a clever fix before I modify the offending part

rokon2813
Excuse the pics, it's dark outside. I assume you are talking about the difference between pic 1 and pic 2. Pic 3 shows an engine with the boss in the block, but not drilled. There is enough space, you could unscrew the current tube, and replace with a standard pipe plug, and have enough clearance to use it, once you determine the correct oil level. The pic is a newer block in a B 12. You could also shorten your dip stick and weld it to the plug or just plug the hole and buy the correct oil pan. I think it would be fairly easy to find a correct pan, probably even the one in the picture if you want to go that way. ;) Either way, no mods to the grill frame assembly :D

GWGAllisfan
My B-10 was re-engined sometime in the 70's with one with an oil fill like that. All that was done to it was the already existing hole was opened up at a diagonal to the inside. As long as you make sure both angles match and cut straight it looks factory. I never knew mine was not factory that way until I saw other B-10s with the standard hole. I wish I had a picture, it's hard to describe.

HubbardRA
The screw in tube and dipstick is available from a B/S dealer. I put one on my engine in my AC713S. Remove your cap, screw in the tube, and the new cap for the tube has a dipstick made onto it. It then matches the hole in the frame.