Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early B1 & Deck Questions

GLPointon

I just went & looked at an early AC B1 Tractor with a 36" Deck. The deck has a "domed cover" with a smaller opening at the back for the PTO belt attachment. The tractor is complete with OEM seat (needs cusions) and the narrow rear tires. This lady's Dad worked at the AC Plant here and got this as soon as they came out! 1 owner/garage kept/complete but rusty... Bad news is she wants ALOT for it. triple what I've ever paid for a tractor in this condition...HOW RARE IS THE TRACTOR & DECK, thats the question? I would like to hear your opinions...Thanks

Well I have had a few B1 so I say not to hard to find. The rear tires 6x12 come up quite often. Seat we can buy replacements for them easy enough. And for the decks you won't see one every day for sure but this year I have came across 3 of them and bought 2 of them. But being a 1 owner and still in say fair shape ya I may give a tad bit more too. Just my 2€ worth

Greg, I guess you have to decide how bad you want a B1 and what you will have to put into it (time & money)to make it the way you make your tractor projects look. Which is, PRISTINE. Based on the condition you describe the tractor to be in, alot for it would be more than $600 to me. Just my 2cents. Good luck...........

Try nicely and explain to her it isn't worth what she's asking. She's putting sentimental value in it being the original owner and all. Then figure how much you are going to spend on restoration, and work a price from there. I would think somewhere in the $200-250 range.

Thats exactly what I told her & what I offered...She took it to an auction last spring & it sold for only $50...she had a FIT and was able to buy it back for $250 so now she's trying to recoup her losses and still make something for the tractor :O I told her its not the buyers fault she didnt put a reserve on the auction price. I may call back and go $300 to help her (wants $500) but I guess we'll see??? sm01
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Try nicely and explain to her it isn't worth what she's asking. She's putting sentimental value in it being the original owner and all. Then figure how much you are going to spend on restoration, and work a price from there. I would think somewhere in the $200-250 range.

The smaller mower decks are a bit rare for a B1, most had the 42" mower deck and not the smaller, 32" inch deck like I put under my B1. Dont think it came with a 36", that width came later on different models long after the B1. Here is my B1 with 32" mower deck. Mike [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/AllisB1pics004.jpg[/IMG]

A 32" B-1 deck in pretty nice shape recently sold for $100 in IN. Up by me, I have never even seen one. Decent, running B-1's pop up in my neck of the woods about 2-3 times each year. Comparing that to a B-10 or Landlord, which pop up multiple times each month, and I consider them nearly rare. I would be willing to pay more for a nice, 'needs' nothing B-1. For the right original, or one nicely redone, $500 wouldn't be out of the question, but probably never more. Less for something rough. Much less for something I intended to redo.

Yes Mike that's the one exactly!! That 32" Deck has the "Rounded/Domed" Cover and a diff. leveling frame assy... Looks like a type of Wonderboy deck..? Thanks...any more pics? sm01
quote:
Originally posted by mtoney
The smaller mower decks are a bit rare for a B1, most had the 42" mower deck and not the smaller, 32" inch deck like I put under my B1. Dont think it came with a 36", that width came later on different models long after the B1. Here is my B1 with 32" mower deck. Mike [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/AllisB1pics004.jpg[/IMG]

Not with the deck on, but I can take a few, I actualy adapted a deck from an Allis B207/Simplicity Broadmoor as I was unable to find a proper 32" B1 mower deck localy, my deck bail assembly, the leveling arms and front mounting arms will probably be different then that one. I saw one of the B1's with this size deck at a show in Peru, Indiana and set out to find/set one up like it as the small deck is perfect for my smaller yard. If you get the tractor, please post up plenty of pics. Right now I despiratly need a replacement transmission as I have a bad axle tube, leaks like crazy and been advised it much simpler and probably cheaper to find a good used transmission complete with axles/diff on it and just to swap it out. I would saw go for the B1, much more rare over the later B series since it was made for just a couple of years. Not to mention the factory option small mower deck, makes it a bit more rare.