Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

could this engine(diesel) be stuffed in a B1?

mtoney

I have this old Petter air cooled diesel, came off one of those old flasher arrow trailers before they went solar powered. She is electric start, but no internal power for charging. I do have a 66am delco remy alternator that came with the engine that was used to charge the 12vt batteries that ran the flasher arrow. So I would have side sling it like the starter gen on the old Briggs. When I had the engine out to swap in the rebuilt one, I set the diesel in to see if it was even close to fitting. From just that quick look, I would need to open up the hole in the belly of the frame for the blower shroud to clean and move the diesel rearward to mate to drive shaft and clear the grill. It may need a larger hole in the grill for the pto shaft area, this part of the diesel, when measured from flywheel to crancase face is much deeper, about 4", over the gas motor. There is no real good reason to do the swap, other than I have the engine and a diesel B1 would be really cool. The only other real hiccup is the engine is currently set up for fixed rpm at 2200. This can be changed to variable speed up to 3600 but not a cheap kit to purchase. I am not sure on clearance issues yet on fuel tank of the B1 to the air cleaner assembly. Might mess with it as soon as grass stops growing. Waiting on injector and pump to return from being cleaned/repaired and getting the diesel started again. Thoughts, anybody nearby wanna lend thier help? Mike [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/forsalepics031.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe a custom air cleaner flange to mount assembly on the side of the engine instead of across the front of the shroud. Just thought of that. Would need someone to make that. I would also need an adapter that could bolt to the central shaft bolt on the flywheel, and allow the drive shaft to be hooked up. I dont have the right mount, mine is part of the cast pulley that the S/G drives. I have a mount from a shaft drive Cub Cadet(IH era) that might be a starting point. I also think a short double flanged pipe adapter would be needed to get muffler out far enough to clear the hood. I think it would have plenty of torque to mow ect, espicaly with my small mower deck. I could use welding and metal bracket fabrication help. Those are the areas I lack tools and know how, would love to learn how though! Mike

It's gonna be tight I'm sure. There was very little space left in an A/C 710. the "rope cup" can be removed, so you could make a flat plate for the flywheel to bolt the drive shaft to. The air cleaner can be cured with just standard pvc pipe. The exhaust can be lengthened and turned to clear the hood. I don't think the alternator belt will clear the grill, you may have to majorly modify that. Yours will be on the front right corner where mine was rear left, or put it outside the grill if you use the existing pulley. You may also be able to leave the "rope cup" on and run the alternator belt off of it? You may have horse power problems running attachments. Mine was only rated at 4 hp.

Once I turn it up to 3600hp, its rated at almost 7hp. The only structural issues I might forsee right now is opening up the frame a bit more in the middle of the sloped pan area to acomidate the blower shroud. I would leave the rope cup so I could drive the alternator. The very nose of the pto side would stick thru the nose plate below the grill. They do make an under flywheel alternator for these, not sure of cost yet. Still working on ideas, but as it sits on my garge floor, more solutions do come to mind. I dont think putting it in a larger tractor would help due to its HP limitations. I only run a 32" mower deck, so it might work good for that. I had a 4.5hp clone diesel in a JD112 round fender and it spun the 39" mower deck easily and mowed just fine. It would just lay down a fog of black smoke when I got into deep grass. BUT it definatly would be a way kool B1 with that under the hood. Mike

That is a cool engine and it should definitely go in something! I think this sounds like a fun project - you are taking a cool, discarded engine and putting it in an application where you can do something useful with it... I like it! Keep the updates coming. I'd offer a hand if I didn't have a second house that needed to be renovated and sold sm02

I am curious, Are you running a fuel pump on that Petter in your allis forklift or gravity feed? Also, I understand the PVC elbow onto the air cleaner cast alum mount, but how are you keeping the actual air cleaner assembly onto the PVC mount? It originaly is held on by screwing it down on a stud. The exhaust part is easy, drive shaft may or may not be. First issue is still to get the injector pump and injector back from rebuilder and prove the diesel will run. I have never seen it run beyond a sort of fire on misted diesel sprayed in the intake while cranking using a mister bottle. I think it will run. The injector nozzle was bad and the pump was dirty. Mike

Mine was gravity from the tank to the existing filter. Because of the engine height, I couldn't run less than 1/4 tank. You will also need to run a return line I think. I just drilled a hole near the top of the plastic tank and stuck a barb fitting in it for that. My air cleaner assembly had a rubber boot on the back side, held on with a hose clamp.

Ok, that makes sense on the air cleaner. I know about the return line. Time will tell whether I have to run a fuel pump. Trying to figure out how to adapt the drive shaft to the flywheel. There are a couple of tapped holes that something could be bolted to. That adapter will be the hard part for the moment. Mike

I have thought that ever since I got it. I really want the Lombardini 6LD 260 engine, it was the other air cooled diesel common in the traffic sign boards. It would be a bit easier to adapt than the Petter. I am looking for one right now. Trying to get ahold of my buddy to find out an ETA on my injector and pump. Anybody have one of the Lombardini's? I will post more when I can. Mike