Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steam Show Find

bnolte

At the Arcadia Steam Show last week I picked this up for a song (and $15) this garden tractor sized 8 disk harrow.

It is a little rusty, but the disks are sound and not frozen up, so a little grease and use should polish things up. The disks are able to pivot, 4 on each side. It has a provision to attach weight to it as well. Anyone use anything like this and can give me tips on its use.

That is a good find! It is usually used after the moldboard plow. It will break up the sod clumps and semi-smooth the ground, then a drag to finish it. By angling the sides, it will cut more aggressively, and is sometimes used that way without the plow first on some applications. If you use a tiller, the disc is not really necessary, but still cool to have. Wish I had one! Steve

Looks real neat, and in good shape! (Original wood bearings?) Mine works well with downpressure from the hydrolift, and after that sod has had a chance to breakdown (plow in fall, disc in spring). That one should do nice with the weight applied. Fun to play with, if nothin else!^

SWEET...those are good for BIG gardens where a tiller is too slow. My neighbor used his as stated above; plow in fall & disc in spring then drag a spiked harrow then plant. He had about a 1/2 acre garden sm01 Nice find