Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ketchk

Tractor storage and the almighty mouse

ketchk
anyone try (Fresh Cab) pouches in their tractor sheds i just replaced the spark plug wire in my Landlord due to it getting eaten not a easy task and used a steel braided cover and they are eating that. last night put out traps and got 3 by morning but im wondering if by baiting them with peanut butter im attracting more than anything. i have used dryer sheets mothballs ammonia any ideas

leeave96
This is a real problem and can get into some $$$'s too. My F.I.L use to sprinkle decon on and around the engine compartment in his Wheelhorse 520H. That is one tractor with a LOT of wires and I never saw a wire chewed on. The tractor was stored in an old shed in the country and mice were everywhere. I remember when he gave me the tractor, I pulled the air cleaner and found green decon around the base of the carb, setting on top of the engine! I'd like to know the ultimate answer to mice as my Dad has a camp and it's some distance from where I live. I'd like to park a tractor there for mowing and drive the 40 mpg car to mow (with gas prices pushing $4/gal) rather than the 10 mpg or less Jeep while towing a trailer with tractor on it. Thanks, Bill

Talntedmrgreen
Decon works great for us in the barn. Haven't had a problem with the boats in storage using it either. I do like to trap them too, becuase it makes me feel like I'm winning some small sort of battle C|: Barn cats? Get yourself a comfy chair and a light powered air rifle, and hit them BEFORE they climb onto the tractor. ;)

rokon2813
Osage Oranges..... My father told me about them last year. Say's he hasn't had a mouse in the house in several years. I tried it last year, had a lot less I think, can't remember if it was none or not. Just stick them on the ground around the outside of the building, every 10 feet or so... Around here, you can find them growing wild in hedge rows, not sure where you are if you can find them or not. Wear gloves, they can be sticky mess.

HubbardRA
Four cats do a fine job for me. No mice, no ground moles, and the squirrels even keep back at a safe distance. One cat hunts during the day and sleeps in the house at night. One sleeps inside during the day and hunts outside at night. The third does a little of both. Fourth cat is a neighborhood stray that we feed. He sleeps in my garage or tractor hut most of the time and also keeps the varmints down. Since he is a stray, he hunts for food. Love my kitties. The only problem is the presents that they bring me and leave on the front or back steps. Also have to make sure they have nothing in their mouth when we let them inside. Had to chase down and catch baby bunnies that were brought in the house to me as presents a couple of times, also a bird and a mouse. LOL

jmhusby
Traps if you don't mind setting them. Use peanut butter or cheese, just freshen it up after while. Can bait them also but sometimes they crawl off and die and smell. Wife puts a pan of moth balls under our camper and that does a good job of keeping them away also.

tripleguy
I had one crawl into the carb on my walk behind snow blower and get into the cylinder. He/she packed corn in there for future refrence and when I went to start it, the motor started smoking. I shut it down and tried to pull it over again but everything was froze. Took the head off and found a corn tortilla on top of the piston which could not make TDC because of it. I keep the choke on now during storage.

MysTiK
I recently noticed bite marks on the edges of the treads of my rear turf tires. I was told it was mice. I find it hard to believe. I have seen beaver teeth marks on stumps, when I lost a bunch of trees a few years ago. The bite marks on the tires looked similar only much smaller. I find it hard to believe that mice would eat rubber - but I have no other explanation. I have seen wire insulation chewed up - but tires? Amazing. And not just one nibble either. I wonder if they could be the answer to old tire recycling. I used to get mice in the house. I discovered a low-flying dryer vent, the cover-flap thingy was not closing properly. Replaced with a new flap thingy that also had a plastic cage around it. No more mice. I lie. There was one, and he may have come in the house with me. I stalked him and nailed him behind the stove with a broom handle. He was so cute too. Hunting them in the house is a real challenge - but can be fun if it doesn't go on too long. However, it can be destructive and even dangerous. Hunting skills required.

Talntedmrgreen
I've seen woodchucks chew tires, wolamnized trailer wood, wires, lights, and anything else they can reach. Had one chew a 3' diameter cirlcle in the bottom of a snowmobile trailer one summer. It got paper thin, and we noticed it when the hole started opening all the way through. If I see them they never even hear the rifle, and they are already fallen dead, right back down their hole. }:)

HerbP
quote:
Also have to make sure they have nothing in their mouth when we let them inside. Had to chase down and catch baby bunnies that were brought in the house to me as presents a couple of times, also a bird and a mouse. LOL
Here's one clever solution to preventing your cat from bringing his/her catches into the house: http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm

timflury
Steel wool is a good mouse repellent. Cram it in the holes where the pesky little devils are trying to enter. Lay it near the gaps on the engine. Just make darn sure the battery is disconnected and don't forget to remove it before the machine gets used again.:O:O

MikeES
I use to use steel wool, but I can't find the stainless steel wool anymore and regular steel wool will rust. I now use the 3M cleaning sanding pads and cut them to fit into the openings of the engine...it works great.