Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7100 Series deck switching & adjustment

Dale

I've got an AC 912 which came with a 48" Simplicity Deck and Keyed main arbor pulley. That deck was rusty and I got a newer 48" deck with splined pulley, apparently (I've never had this one apart.) I don't have information about assembling these decks properly or adjusting them, except for leveling. The deck doesn't begin to raise until the height lever is pulled clear back past all the detents. This issue may be easy to deal with somewhere, but it's not my main concern. Even when the deck is lowered completely, the deck drive pulley seems much too high to align properly with the PTO pulleys and the belt fatigues quickly. The ground I have to mow is too irregular to mow at a low setting. Raising the deck increases the already excessive angle of the deck drive belt. Can the system be adjusted for these components to work together, properly? Where can I get information about setting it up? Unlike blades I used on the other deck, the blades on this one are offset down a bit from the hub. Thanks, Dale

quote:
The deck doesn't begin to raise until the height lever is pulled clear back past all the detents.
I am not sure what you are speaking about, there isn't really a "height lever" and "detentes" on the proper deck for your tractor. There should be two handles with a threaded rod, one left and one right at the rear rollers, that you can turn to raise and lower the rear of the deck. On the front of the deck, there are two turnbuckles that can be adjusted to raise and lower the front. When properly adjusted, the blades should be slightly out of "level" with the front or leading edge of the blades (when the blades are facing front to rear) approximately 1/8-1/4" higher than at the rear. If you have some kind of lever with detentes, it sounds like a deck from a different series. That would explain belt and pulley alignment issues too. Your deck should also be a left hand discharge? Hope this helps. PS Welcome to the club!

It is left discharge, manual lift. This deck is in a lower position from the previous deck in relation to the cable. I don't have information for adjusting the lift cable. The center of deck drive pulley V is 2" above the surface of the deck belt guard. Is this the correct height? Thanks. Dale

quote:
Unlike blades I used on the other deck, the blades on this one are offset down a bit from the hub.
Sounds to me like a newer deck on an older tractor - the 'offset' will effectively cut lower, compared to straight blades. I'm not sure if you switch blade types without causing blade/deck CLASH. (hitting deck) It also sounds like you are using the Manual Lift lever to set the mowing height - lift lever simply raises the deck for transport - nothing to do with mowing height. As said, mowing height is set using roller adjustors. Leveling is described in manual - but roller adjustors PLUS front yokes (turnbuckles) are used to determine front to rear leveling (as mentioned, yokes turned clockwise go lower - for front/rear "pitch" or "rake") (adjust both equally to avoid twisting forces, possible metal fatigue or breakage). Follow manual for leveling. Decks might look the same but there are subtle differences, perhaps in the large deck shell itself (the entire top). But the detents on the LIFT LEVER are NOT IN PLAY except for transport, or perhaps emergency lift over obstacles, and that only will raise the rear btw, since the front is fixed. That probable newer deck should have a sticker on it with the MFR number - 169xxxx. /that might help answer. I'm not clear on wassup with the pulleys being splined or keyed. Also, it's not clear if the 912 is actual original deck - likely it is. but things can get switched. It would be helpful to know the MFR's for BOTH DECKS = too many things in motion here. like this below: you said = = AC 912 which came with a 48" Simplicity Deck - title indicates 7100 - but all the info says contrary = newer 48" deck with splined pulley - what you mean is Splined Shaft. There's a lot of terminology - if you are playing with musical decks, it gets crazy fast. hope this helps sort it out. it's a messy mix by the sounds of it. but there may be a way.

Thanks for the replies. I knew the deck I got with tractor was not original. However, it was different (keyed pulley AND shaft) from the deck I've replaced it with, and I think it was older. I haven't taken the replacemnt deck apart, but, as I said, it appears to have a splined pulley and, correspondingly, splined shaft. I didn't measure the previous deck, but had noticed the replacement appears taller. I'll get the numbers off the deck when I find a use for that information, for example, if I find a procedure for adapting decks between different Simplicity tractors or when ordering parts. I saw the tractor the replacement deck came off of and it was a later model Simplicity 7117. I was using the cable to keep the blades off the ground and thanks to suggestions here discovered the roller setting was low on the left. I've dropped the lever to the top detent for mowing, but it doesn't appear possible to raise the deck (for transport) as high as was intended in the design. I also used more care in installing a new deck drive belt and running it in. It does look like poor alignment between pulleys will continue to cause problems with belt wear. Dale

It's possible that the lift lever cable is of length compatible w the previous deck; and is perhaps (?) too long for this deck, resulting in full lift. (?) The MFR numbers from tractor and from deck MIGHT BE USEFUL in sorting out what's in play here. (there s/b stickers w 169xxxx numbers - but they could have been removed). Pictures of deck might help - full view, underside, topside, maybe closeups of the details you mention. You can use links to a photobucket account for that; or become a paid member to post pix directly. Decks have a lot of similarities - but some things did change between older and newer models. I think that's the difficulty in sorting this out. MFR numbers might generate more info through available manuals, etc. perhaps cross references re fit, etc. Changes in blade type may be part of that. Need more info. Perhaps someone else can sort through this.

I believe the lift cable length was the same for all large frame tractors. The OEM cable is too long and does not lift the deck much more than slightly off the ground. I have modified all of my lift cables to shorten them by about an 1" buy adding an additional cable clamp/slug that raises the clevis that connects to the deck.

Thanks, I will try to locate the numbers. I'm not sure I understand this cable shortening technique, exactly. What specifically is the clamp/slug and how and where is it attached? Maybe I'm wrong, but the deck drive pulley on my replacement deck seems too high in the mow position, leading to me to think belt misalignment could be causing belt fatigue. Dale