Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GrincheyOne

A neat log splitter idea UPDATE Sorry!

GrincheyOne
Sorry guys! Ebay pulled the original ad for $610. This I found on The Miller Welding site, and is very close to the Ebay ad. 3-Pt Log Splitter by R. Schmitt Project Description This is a vertical/horizontal log splitter with a 4" by 24" 22 ton hydraulic cylinder. You can run this off of any tractor with a 3 pt hitch and a rear mounted hydraulic system. Build Process I found all of the materials used in this project in a scrap yard. I first notched and welded the recessed cylinder ancor (1 inch steel cut with oxy/acetylene and drilled with a hole saw hand drill) then welded the 1 inch ram plate to the opposite end. Afterwards I began constructing the 3-pt hitch mount and the hinges that would connect the mount to the I-beam. I later painted and then assembled the hydraulic cylinder, hoses, and valve. Everything you see has been custom welded with the exception of the cylinder. Note- the 1 inch ram plate immediately bent so now I am welding 3, 1" by 2" vertical reinforcements to the back of the plate. Tools Used I used; a Millermatic 212 argon & co2 mix, Victor cutting outfit, misc. drills grinders and air tools, IR hvlp Sprayer, and Valspar tractor implement paint. The original on Ebay was painted to match the Case garden tractor it was mounted on, and did not show the ram cylinder.

steve-wis
The seat was funnier, but the splitter does look kind of cool. I don't have anything that would run one, and don't burn wood anymore, but it would be handy, for sure. I used to have a trailer type that I built, with a rear car axle and springs under it, but it took up alot of room, and of course there was another engine to service and maintain. This is a nice idea! Steve

Sign in to follow this