Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

Does anyone have any clue ....?

mroman59
how to determine which tractors take a 26HP Briggs ELS, Vertical 1-1/8"x4-5/16" Keyed Shaft, V-twin engine? I know it was used in a Craftsman GT5000 tractor. How can I find what other tractors it was used in? It has the tube-shape muffler on it, not the square type that drops below the frame, however if I have to pick up a the square one to make it fit that would not be a big deal if I like the tractor enough. The current muffler on it is brand new. Is there any easy way to determine which tractors it was/is used in besides the GT5000? It seems like the tractors that take the 1 1/8" vertical shaft are harder to find because most seem to be 1" shafts, correct me if I am wrong! Thanks, Mike

rokon2813
A briggs dealer might be able to tell you. I have a very old sales manual and it has a list of tractors that used specific engines. You may find though that the one you have is special. Sears, being sears may have speced something out just to be different from everyone else. they have been known to do things like that so you have to get your parts from them. :O;)

dhardin
My friend Bob and I have translated hundreds of motors in different mowers, many Simplicity's. Your biggest differences in any motor to mower is its different way it handles the exhaust. Look at the Briggs parts manual and many times you will see several different muffler available, this is for different applications. Shaft size are rather common. Anything over 14 or 16 hp gets you into the 1 1/8 shaft size. What is rearer is finding a 16 or 18 even some 20hp with a 1" shaft. These are basically a motor with a special turned down crank shaft for a specific need shaft size. I have seen several applications where we re-powered a tractor that was 1" shaft 12hp and re-powered it with a 20hp 1 1/8 shaft. All it takes is finding a larger drive pulley (sometimes a double pulley set up). There are available but hard to find. We have had to fabricate several mufflers to make what we have work in difference mower. To you questions I didn't know of anywhere there is a list of what your motor fits in these tractors. Best bet is to go to the Briggs parts book and look to see the variety of mufflers available for this serial No and hope to find that tractor application. Good luck.

HubbardRA
When I got my Kohler Command Pro 25Hp, I stopped by a small engine shop to talk to a guy I know. He took the numbers off the engine, made a phone call, then told me that it came from the factory on a Grasshopper zero turn mower.