Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

after dump cart measurements or blue prints

can any one supply me with the measurements or blue prints to make a double actioned dump cart- like the one Herb has- but intend to make it around 75" long X 35" wide - have looked around the tractor and mower shops in tassie and no one makes a double actioned dump cart -all think its a good idea though normal non-dumping carts sell for around $700 Aus. , and tilt dump carts start at $850 Aus and tilt by the way of a hinge- so i've decided to buy an arc welder (or mig - still debating which one - so any thoughts would be appreciated)- and attempt my first welding jpb - the dump cart any suggestions thanks darren

I agree with MPH. Now if you were building dump trucks the arc would be the way to go. Be careful about the total weight when you enlarge this cart - you don't want it heavier than you can handle or you may adding a hydraulic cylinder!

A stick type arc welder deals with rust and paint much better than a MIG welder, but MIG's are a lot faster and can do high quality work with the correct surface prep. Miller and others have combo machines that can do both MIG and stick. [A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

Don’t know where you would find blueprints, and if you’re going to make it 75” x 35” measurements of the Simplicity cart would be of no use. The important thing is to use proper design ratios. A cart with proper design ratios should have slightly more weight forward of the axle (tongue weight) when empty and when evenly loaded. I built a cart that is 96” x 48” which I use to haul fire wood. Even at over 1200 lbs., I can dump the load easily by hand. What some may not realize is that the sides and floor of the Simplicity cart are made from a single piece of sheet metal. Such a design eliminates seams that rust, and provides a smooth floor. Anyone that has used a cart with bolts in the floor knows how annoying it can be when shoveling out a load of dirt. So, if you want to build a cart like Simplicity does, find a shop that has a large metal brake. As for which welder, either arc or mig will work. The important thing is penetration. It's tough to weld 3/8" steel bar with a rig made to weld only sheet metal. Just curious..... $700 AU is equal to about $350 US. A decent average cart can be bought in the US for about $200. Why the price difference down under..? Do you mates have a tax / tariff / duty situation..? Seems you could have "stuff" made in Asia the same as we do and have a lot less shipping cost.

I built a dump trailer using an old cast-iron axle and wheels from an old Bolens tractor. Built the floor out of 1/8" steel with 1" angle iron around base on front and sides only and with 1/2" angle uprights on front corners and center of sides. I did not add a tailgate, instead I made it like the dump truck beds you see in stone quarries. The rear of floor angles up at back on a 30 degree angle. I cut the wooden side boards at opposite angle to meet the end of rear bobtail tail. The bobtail is part of the floor. By building it this way you can still haul just as much of a load and not mess with making the tailgate and having to open and close it. Just dump the cart and go!! Marion Kerr