Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Snowblower auger gear removal

rich_kildow
I'm trying to completely strip my 36" snowblower attachment to weld a few minor cracks and repaint the whole thing. I have to weld close to that gear housing and would like to be able to take it all apart to wipe all the grease out before doing so. I'm hung up on how to remove the chain gears on the left side. I removed the cover, loosened the shaft adjusting bolts and have tapped the shaft all the way forward to give the chain slack (still not enough to get it off the gears, though). I've also loosened the set screw that tightens down against the key on the auger gear. I don't think it's ever been apart since all the paint looks continuous in there. Any tricks to getting this front gear off the shaft so I can get the auger out of there?

joelk
I'm trying to remember as I replaced the bearings on my 42" blower. I thing there is a master link in the chain the can be removed to get the chain off. Could be wrong but that what I think I remember. Wipe the grease off and see if it's there.

rich_kildow
Found the master link...duh...why didn't I think of that. I have the auger loose and the gear off the auger shaft as well as the non-driven side bearing off the shaft. Is there something that holds the drive side bearing onto the shaft? I can't seem to get that thing to move.