Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steelhead

Advice on 1962 Allis Chalmers B1

steelhead
I picked up a 1962 AC B1 today. When I got it home and got a chance to play around with it, I noticed what sounds like a knock or tick in the motor. The motor is a B&S 19D. The motor has plenty of power and runs good, it doesn't smoke or leak oil. I called the guy I got it from and he said if I wasn't happy with it that he would return it. My question is, if I keep it how hard will it be to find parts? Should I just return it? Thanks, Craig

dav
a tick might be a valve problem, a knock might be lower end. have you pulled the head to scrape off the carbon build up? i am part way thru overhauling my 19D. so far the only problem i've had was sloppy valve guides. i had them knurled, which took out the slop in the intake but not the exhaust. parts are available but i got laid off last week so money isn't. it will sit until.... the original motor is still in the B1. it sounds like there is a loose bolt, or maybe an acorn, inside the shroud. but it keeps on goimg, and going, and going

mtoney
Parts can be found on ebay, lots of the parts for the older Briggs are NLA from B&S now. But you can find them. The B1 is more rare than a B10 ect. I love mine, but I am planning to repower with a diesel engine shortly. That said, I have a recently overhauled 10hp Briggs for sale is your close to Indiana. The B1 shares attachments with the other B's I am told. Just learning about these myself having owned IH Cub Cadets and JD's over the past years. But for a one tractor does everything, mow, rototiller and snow removal duty, its hard to beat a little AC B1! The knock could be as simple as the points needing adjusted, spark knock on a single can sound like rod knock. I would start there, engines are easily changed out. Mike

MysTiK
I would consider it's cost and appearance as well, since you say it runs fine. I would also consider that it's a 1962 tractor, and I guess the engine is too - (not specified). I would expect various sounds unless I paid for a full restoration with a new or rebuilt engine. 1962 is 50 years old. Sometimes my 716H sounds different every time I start it. Recently I played with the carb, and today it didn't run properly until it warmed up - the weather was kinda cold. I usually use premium gas, and today I poisoned it with ethanol gas. It's near due for oil change. It all matters kinda. And it keeps on running. I'm not enough mechanic to rebuild - yet. I keep up with basic maintenance. And I do that better than the previous owner. Mine used to smoke; it doesn't really smoke now, except in heavy sudden load situations. Oil consumption is slight. I treat it with the respect it has already earned; and continues to earn. But I didn't pay 1500+ for it. And a new tractor is not about to happen. And big box brands are like bic lighters. I'm pretty happy with what I have. I always watch and listen. And I always watch classified ads for 'stuff related' - parts, attachments, etc. It's just the game. I you are feeling insecure about the deal, then you have a way out - in old used tractors, that is rare. It sounds like the seller is confident; but that's him. What matters is you. Tough decision? If you cash it in, you'll never know. If you have more mech skills that me, then you get to have fun right up to your elbows; or how far do you want to go? Perfection may not be possible with a 50 yr old rig. But it might run another 50 anyhow. It's just a case of fixing what breaks, adding parts, and endless routine maintenance. You also get to be the owner and have endless seat time. The parts are out there. But you won't find them at sears or home depot. You might find them behind a barn, overgrown with weeds. If you seek, you will find. Sometimes they find you. It's really your call. This is all guesswork without more detail and a lot of pictures. There are several people here with B1 and many other similar tractors. Some people have too many of them. I guess there's something working. And there's lot of help for specific problems here; especially in other areas of the forum, if you become a full paid club member. But that's optional, and won't stop you getting help here. You can post pix of your tractor is you use a site such as photobucket. There's manuals if you need. And everyone has a unique approach, purpose, experience, etc., and that means there's a lot of depth available here, regardless of approach. Welcome to the club. If you have more questions, fire away. And maybe some others have more input on the topic. This is just my 2 bits. I hope it helps a little. sm01

Talntedmrgreen
Craig, was that the B-1 over in St John's? I thought long and hard on that one...nice lookin machine. I don't think I've had a model 19 that didn't have a 'tick' to it. They have a little bit different sound, from my experience. You can hear the breather a bit more than other engines as well.

steelhead
I did pick it up over in St. Johns. I ended up getting it for $500. I decided at that price I could put a few bucks into motor if it needs to be rebuilt. Anybody know of a good service manual for the B1? I have never rebuilt a motor before, so I would need a manual that would be easy to understand and have lots of pictures. I appreciate all the information so far, and I will probably have lots more questions if I rebuild this motor. Thanks, Craig

ketchk
yea i have a 23D 9hp on a 64 landlord and Briggs emailed me the parts manual taking it apart is not that hard just keep a large clean workspace i found that i take a lot of digital pics if im confused i just look at the pics my memory is fading fast and it helps the old service manual is available all over have fun