Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hi lift blade for 4211

Cyclone

Hey all, I finally got back in a home that has a yard and im getting my 4211 back on the job. I want to swap out the blades but would like a high lift blade to promote a better cut and more powerful discharge. The only blade I can find at Jacks is a standard blade. PN is 1657589A. Is there a comparable hi lift number? Thanks in advance. As soon as $$ permits I'll be upgrading to a "tractor" instead of the lowly but still capable "mower"!!

Hi, and welcome to the club! If there is a high lift blade available it will be after market. Check the Oregon blade manual in the link below. Maybe a different brand will work since you have a righthand discharge deck as long as the holes and the lengths are the same. http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pdf/OREGON_BladesByOEM.pdf

Thanks!! Since I have the specs on the original It shouldn't take too long to find an alternative. I so can't wait to move up the simplicity food chain, These lawn mowers just don't have the support or knowledge base.

Ok using Rays link I have found an alternative. For posterity the numbers are Oregon products: 91-714 Hi Lift same specs as OEM except width is 2.5" vs 2.0" 96-339 Gator Mulcher 3-1 high lift same specs as OEM except width is 2.5" vs 2.0" I think the difference in width should not be a problem.

If you have torch you can make your standard blades into hi lift blades. Alls you gots to do is clamp the blade in a vice, heat the lift of the blade red hot and give it a good whop with a good size hammer. Try to get the 2 sides as even as you can then sharpen and balance the blades and your off!

The Simplicity high lift catcher blades are 1671593ASM (full high lift) for the left side and 1726357ASM (partial high lift) for the right side. They will create more flow, throw the grass farther and spread it out. The Gators work well in dry grass, chopping it up more but can "ball up" the grass when damp or wet.

quote:
Originally posted by JeffNemes
The Simplicity high lift catcher blades are 1671593ASM (full high lift) for the left side and 1726357ASM (partial high lift) for the right side. They will create more flow, throw the grass farther and spread it out. The Gators work well in dry grass, chopping it up more but can "ball up" the grass when damp or wet.
This is very interesting; but ambiguous. Do you mean 1 of each to make a set? Do you mean these are different sets to meet discharge locations? Do you mean it is possible to dial in the amount of lift? - that would be nice! Do these product numbers mean individual blades, or sets of blades? Is this specific to the 4211? If the different numbers make one set, then how does a different degree of lift help, or does it; or is that again about the 4211? On my Simplicity Pacer mower, the deck is 2 blade, one large, one small. The large is nearer the chute, and my high lift set uses a larger wing on that larger blade. The smaller blade, away from the chute, also features a smaller wing. The deck shape is angular, being larger on the chute side. I suppose the different wing sizes are proportional to the relative volumes of either side; which would balance the air flows, rather than create turbulence. These blades throw farther; and also create more spread in the discharge. Unfortunately, there is also a great deal of airborne fine material created or disturbed; making the environment relatively dusty - which means dusty clothing, breathing dust, etc. The running deck sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a mower - very noticeably different sound and performance. I would not want these as fulltime blades - handy for spring cleanup only. I don't know how people would prefer high lifts for full time use. I would recommend a dust mask. I don't definitely know what brand these blades are - but the wings are solid, unlike gators. I presume they are Simplicity blades since they fit well on this unique shaped angular offset 34" deck. In this thread, I don't hear the reason for the desire to go high lift. It's an optional choice. I don't see bagger in play, or mentioned. Maybe I missed it. This has nothing to do with moving up the food chain. Machine in question is designed to mow. So, I really don't get it. But blade types are interesting; but everything is connected; and this is at the end of a line of previous decisions and engineering. No problem. It's an option.

It's amazing how a simple post can get over complicated. I just wanted PN for hi lift blades. I found them and along with my research simply posted the numbers of 2 types for other users. To answer questions that have been posted. I want hi lift because I want hi lift, it's that simple. I know if it's dry Ill get more airborne particles but I wont get lines of clumped grass in my yard either. I don't have a lot of dry dusty problems with what I mow. For the 4211 with no bagger you use the same blades for both sides. The part numbers listed are for (1) blade you need (2) for a set. Moving up the "food chain" was a reference to me wanting to move up to a large frame vintage simplicity and had nothing to do with the 4211 that I currently use to mow. These "mowers" are like the bastard step child of the forum and get very limited love, but it's what I have.

Thank you for your words and clarification. I appreciate this thread and the experience it offers; there's just some fine points left unresolved, for me, and my interests. I am glad you found your solution. Talk about the food chain, etc. - the mower I have is perhaps only barely on the food chain. It's a bit of a freak; but it's extremely useful, and does an amazing job. And talk about no love - I have yet to see anyone else with one - I think mine is the only one on this forum. And yes, most of the love goes to the more popular units. The others, however, are not excluded. My Pacer is a mower only. I find myself looking at more mowers due to an interest in riding more than walking. Pacer is a walkbehind hydro w a small deck that gets into anywhere it's needed, and it leaves a great finish, fully striped, in unlimited patterns, since it largely mimics a zero turn in it's manouverability (sp?), and will climb hills like a goat. But no one has one. It has an engine that's wrapped up in complicated control and safety features that prevent me from tearing it apart to see wassup. It works, so I don't touch it. It has a small bagger which is just about useless. I have a front dethatcher on it and optional hilift blades for spring cleanups. That's a lot of capability and versatility. But lately I am looking at more mowers, for weekly mowing, so I can give the overkill garden tractor a rest, and so I can ride, to give me a rest. So for now, the default machine is the 716. The 716 has a compatitively huge turning radius, and on full steer, the rear wheels traction control tears the grass; and on steep hills, the back tires dig. The Pacer is highly controllable in all these areas; it's just that I have to walk. So it also keeps me healthy. It's almost like every complaint I have with it is actually a good thing. I don't know how it fits the food chain; I just know it's on the tree; as are all the many fine products made by Simplicity and Allis-Chalmers. And in the world of olde used machines, we can pick the preferred forbidden fruit, again and again, until we find the right one for ourselves. And some people prefer several. Me, I could use a simple mower, with a cupholder. sm01 But I don't hear much info about mowers; more about the ground-engagers. All these machines have a main purpose; some will do other things too. The main purpose it what they do best. For a specific need, there it is.

Just some more feed back. I got both the hi lifts and the gators to try. I put the Gators on first. What a difference!! The cut is much better than the old beat up blades. The discharge is much more powerful and the clippings are much smaller and did not clump up at all. When I get a chance I'll swap in the hi lifts to see what difference they make. Double cutting made all the clippings "disappear" into the lawn.

quote:
Originally posted by Cyclone
Just some more feed back. I got both the hi lifts and the gators to try. I put the Gators on first. What a difference!! The cut is much better than the old beat up blades. The discharge is much more powerful and the clippings are much smaller and did not clump up at all. When I get a chance I'll swap in the hi lifts to see what difference they make. Double cutting made all the clippings "disappear" into the lawn.
Gator blades. I have been using them for 12 years. I wouldn`t ever go back to OEM.