Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

leeave96

Pulling Engine Questions

leeave96
I'm going to pull the engine out of my 918H (aka: Sovereigh) with Kohler Command engine. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of for doing this? Disconnecting the drive shaft, etc? Thanks!!!!!!!!! Bill

BLT
For starts drain oil, disconnect battery negative side first, remove and plug fuel line. Disconnect headlight plug and remove hood. Take pictures especially of wiring so you know where to re-connect, remove and tag wires, remove choke and throttle wires. Disconnect drive shaft and lastly four engine bolt mounting bolts and remove. I think I got it all. Once hood is removed it pretty easy to get at. I have a 4 part small block and tackle that I use for lifting. It's anchored to garage door header plate. My uses same anchor points for hanging clothes for rummage sales.

leeave96
Well - I went out and pulled the engine. Pretty straight forward. Hardest part was lifting it out of the tractor frame and carrying it into my basement. Didn't use a lift, just gave the engine a bear hug and a stout lift with my legs and back! One of these days I'm going to remember I'm getting to old to be lifting tractor engines around! Thanks! Bill

MrSteele
I think we all need to go to aluminum engines, to save our backs when pulling....NAH It is more fun to wonder why you pulled them without going to the extra trouble of a lift of some sort, and wondering why you never finished the lift project. My A-frames are still outside, waiting for me to shorten them for use inside the shop, and my back still hurts from the last engine, though it was an A-Farmall that I decided to pull by sitting it on a cradle on my floor jack

HubbardRA
I just throw a chain over one of the joint areas in the ceiling truss of my garage, and then use a come along. Many times I have lifted them off and on. Just depends on how I feel that day. LOL

GLPointon
I also had back surgery (L5 Disc)....now I have large lag hooks in my shop ceiling that will handle a lot of weight. I use a "COME-ALONG" ratcheting hoist...only $30 at TSC, cheaper that 1 Dr. visit :D

Willy
I use an old swing set frame and my electric winch. I have a short bench I slid under it and I'm good to go. As Eastwood once said: A man has to know his limitations. I know I'm to old for all that lifting.:D