Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Grease Fitting question

joelk

Thanks to some excellent posts on this site, I was able to locate the drive shaft grease fittings. When I got to the engine side of the drive shaft, I find that the fitting is missing all together. I have a few questions: 1. Does anyone know what size fitting to get? I see it should be a 45 degree but I'm not sure of thread size etc when picking one out. 2. This "hole" is full of dust and dirt, should I do anything to clean it out before putting in new fitting? Any tricks or thoughts.

I usually see grease fittings being sold in a package with an assortment of sizes and angles. That is what I buy. As far as the hole, just clean all the dirt and crud out of the hole as best you can with a nail, drill bit, toothpick, wood splinter, etc. The pressure from the grease gun will force the grease through the joint, even if you miss a little of the crud. Better to have a little dirt in the grease, than no grease.

In order to properly seat the new zirc in place, I would clean out the hole as best as you can, then take WD-40 and "wash" it out, clean rag, "wash" again, etc until you can properly and smoothly thread the new grease zirc in. Then, as you grease the driveshaft and universals, the new grease will force out the old grease and dirt.

Use brakeclean or carb clean after the "tooth pick" method to help flush out any dirt, use the little straw to spray into the grease passage. You won't need much and it will help if the hole is facing down. Afterward the fresh grease will push out the rest of the junk as noted.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. The WD40 worked great to clean out the hole. It was a bear getting it started up in there, but after standing on my head a few times I got it to go. Now after I got it in (using a 45 degree fitting), I can't get my grease gun on it. I am able to get it on in the back knuckle albeit just barely and with a lot better access. Will a needle style work to get grease into this fitting, or do I need to start over and look at a 90 degree? I really don't want to take it back out as it is hard to get back in. Any suggestions are welcome. By the way, the fitting was a 1/8" pipe thread for anyone that may need to do this in the future. Also am I the only one that looks like he just swam in a grease pool when done working on the tractor. I know some guys stay pretty clean, I think I could use some tips on that.

• 3 weeks later...
Mind linking to where you found the info on how to get to the engine side drive shaft grease zerk? I cant seem to find it, and i have gotten to every other zerk on the thing with the exception of a couple on the brake system. Mine squeals like a banshee, and i worry that due to the difficulty of finding that zerk, its completely out of grease

quote:
Originally posted by jbrukardt
Mind linking to where you found the info on how to get to the engine side drive shaft grease zerk? I cant seem to find it, and i have gotten to every other zerk on the thing with the exception of a couple on the brake system. Mine squeals like a banshee, and i worry that due to the difficulty of finding that zerk, its completely out of grease
If you download the operators manual which can be done on this website, it will show you how to get at it.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by jbrukardt
If you download the operators manual which can be done on this website, it will show you how to get at it.
I have it, but im still missing something. It says to remove the side panels (done), and then you'll have a small square access panel to remove that has 4 bolts. I cant find for the life of me that access panel. I must be blind. Agco-allis 1920h. I have the deck off for cleaning and regreasing, and i follow the drive shaft forward (got the two zerks at the back), until it hits the firewall. Then it enters the firewall, into what appears to be a sealed compartment that contains the hydro intercooler (??) the big hoop shaped thing that sits between the battery compartment space and the engine itself.

You remove the lower RH panel under the hood and console, you get access to the rear cleanout panel and from that point you can access drive shaft.

ok i think i may have been looking too low. Its too dark to go check now, but i see what you're saying. The panel is high up, in line with the battery almost on the side of the console. ill take a look in the daylight tomorrow. This getting dark at 4:45 wreaks havoc with getting stuff done outside. Thanks a bunch, if i cant get it this time, ill take pictures and people can throw darts :p

Ok, what the heck. I cant find it. I took pictures. Can you explain it to me like im a moronic 5th grader with big red arrows?
[img]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/160512/2264954sunstar2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/160512/1657097sunstar3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/160512/4772246sunstar11111.JPG[/img]

Download this : http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ifDCFO9brG2sF5DOh6lEP5NRQpe . Go to parts book page 42. The items are 54, maybe 57 and then item 40 is the door you are after.

Lay on the ground on your back. Stick your head under the tractor where the mower deck normally is. Find the driveshaft. Follow it forward towards the engine until it enters a small hole in the sheetmetal enclosure for the hydraulic cooler. Stop. Now look to the right and you will see a bolt securing a small access panel. Remove the bolt and the panel and inside is the front U-joint. :D

ok, that helped. Its somewhere under the battery tray (which makes sense) Im not trying to be a pain in the butt here, I just honestly cant find it. Thats exactly where i thought it was, but mine appears to be solid sheet metal. Ill look again, and not bother ya'll again if i cant find it, ill just ahve to deal with the squealing.

I have never seen a Sunstar, but by looking at the pics I would guess... More likely the left arrow to get to a grease zerk in a driveshaft

Here is link to discussion - there is a picture of the clean out panel. It helped me. Also, taking off the tunnel to get at the rear knuckle really helped me as well. [url][/url]http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118854