Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ngale65

Hb212 De-thatching the yard

ngale65
Well i modified a JD dethatcher and mouted to the back of my 212. did the whole yard today then mowed and bagged the yard. Next to reseed and hopefully come spring my yard will look like it did before this hot dry summer.

GrincheyOne
I haave a "no-name" dethatcher, and am undecided to keep it as a tow behind, or modify it to use as a front hitch. The tow option would not play well off of my 4212GTH (no rear lift). I guess the only universal usage across all three tractors would be a front mount. This will be a project scheduled til the winter (cabin fever cure) ;) Looks nice, likely a lot of good seat time! Wayne

ngale65
I would like to make mine a front mount as well. Thats on my list of projects. but mouthing it to the back was quick and easy, the lift made it a breeze. It was fun to play with the tractor, thats for sure.

MysTiK
I have a front mount on my Pacer. It's an adaptation, and I don't really like it. There's a lot of forces generated on the front end, and that's why I want one for the rear. The unit is a cheap AgriFab, and I bent one axle on the support wheel, when I lost a set screw. I replaced the set screw, and shuffled a couple of tines to deal with the bend - no big deal. The tines will take the abuse tho. But with these light duty units, I think it might last longer to pull it rather than push it - and just use mild weight to make it stay down in the ugly and gnarly stuff. On the front, there's no escape, and the weight of the tractor is relentless. On the back, the unit can bounce up to escape extreme loads - so I suppose, having the right weight might matter - it's gotta get down and pull the stuff up, but if the limits are reached, it should be allowed to escape by popping up and out. I don't know if that's really important. The front mount is on my Pacer WalkBehind, w deck-out-front - when it jams, it tends to lift the front end. Maybe tweaking the depth is more important - to get good action, and avoid jamming. This confusion is why I would go tractor w weighted rear dethatch. It's likely that the right tine depth is most important. I mow what's pulled with the front - and gather excess to dispose - or just mow it in if it's not too thick, excessive. I like to combine it with aerating also; that's an alt plan. I have an AgriFab 40" tow behind Plug Aerator. It likes about 100 lbs of weight to make it really dig in and pull good plugs at slow tractor speed. I ran it w 150 lbs, that was excessive. But the weight depends on soil type and moisture level. I tend to ignore dethatch and punch lots of holes instead. Either way, thatch is going to break down eventually; but if the process is slow, the accumulation gets out of hand. Aerated holes provide places for stuff to fall into, thatch, seed, fertilizer, water, etc. The plugs can also mimic topdressing, esp. with multiple passes. I'd pursue a used plug aerator before I converted a dethatcher. Having both is a great combo, provides lots of options. Aerator should be a plug type, not a spike type. A spiker isn't going to do much more than tickle the surface - kind of a mild grooming effect. Get a plug. btw, your lawn looks to be in pretty good shape. Better than a lot after this drought.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
    • IHITDPOST
    • AllisChalmers716
    • BLT
    • wsherm
    • s_stephen
  • Today's Birthdays

1. pitt
      pitt
      (53 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts