Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 Hydro Brake Service

Has anyone out there replaced a brake lining on a 7100 series hydro? Does one replace the lining (p/n 172237) on the brake band or replace the whole brake band assembly (p/n 172234)? My foot brake adjustment is maxed out and the parking brake does not hold very well any longer. I see some lining left, but it could be riding on the rivits or the lining could be cooked.

Thanx
Jeff

We replace the liniing if the band is good. We happen to have an old foot press riviter. You will need to use a punch or short piece of bolt in a vise to support the rivet head while you roll it. Best bet would be to take it to an old automotive shop that might have an old rivet press around. It isn't that difficult if you have a rivet set tool and anvil. I don't know where you would buy one now, but years ago almost every Western Auto etc sold them. If you anybody that is a machinest, he can make you a roll tool in a lathe in about 15 minutes. The key is that the rivet must be rolled not just flattened. Good luck AL

Thanx Al.
I have access to an old foot press rivet machine at work (a Stimpson machine I think). I assume Simplicity used tubular (hollow) rivets for these linings. Do you happen to know what size the rivets are? I think the machine at work is set up for 1/8" or 1/16" rivets and I am not sure we have tooling for other size rivets.