Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

filling my tires

chris87

this is my way of filling or loading my tires. i had the stuff just laying around. i first took valve core out and then carefully used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold valve stem and push rubber hose over it a little lube would help like wd40 then put funnel over other end of hose. then i just attached to fence post because i could place the jug of anti-freeze on it then poke a very small hole in bottom to let fluid flow out and one in top as a vent. it its a very slow process like 1 gallon per hour but i did not need to buy anything for it. it is flowing to fast if there is fluid in the funnel. if this happens it will burp or equalize pressure and you will spill some.

There's a few people that recorded clips of loading tires on Youtube. I bought the shrader to garden hose adapter and I fill up a quart size squirt bottle and squeeze the fluid into the tire. I tried using the funnel, but there was too much gurgling and spilling of the fluid.

i was going to use a tool that is used for filling car systems with coolant by bring it into a vacuum then it sucks the coolant into the system but i have tubes in my tires so that would not work. that would have worked great and would only take maybe a minute a tire. if it was gurgling it was to much fluid to fast. yeah i watched them and i just used what i had on hand and i'm waiting on parts so i have lots of time. a couple of gallons a day befor work.

I had thought most folks cracked the bead and just poured it in? That always sounded fast and easy to me, but required dismounting from the tractor, while some folks who pump it in position the valve at 12 o'clock while everything is still on the machine.

Get you a 2 1/2 gallon hand pump sprayer, fill it, remove the trigger and use your open gas or tube line, pump it up. Burp the air out of the tire and re-fill the sprayer till tire is full. I use a 3 1/2 gallon stainless steel fire extinguisher with a air valve to fill tire fast. Also a air burp valve can be found at good farm supplies making it much essayer as well.

The trick filling tubeless tires is to make sure the liquid competely submerges the inside of the steel rim. Rust will not form if oxygen cannot reach the metal. I was able to get about 5.5g. of -20 WW fluid in my 23x8.5x12 tires. You will know when the tire has enough fluid in it when you air up the tire with the valve stem at the top and you hear gurgling.