Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dethatching in style

broad728moor

Well the old 4211 got a new oil pan gasket and she's ready to dethatch and bag in one pass. Works great!
[img]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Desperado-01/photo-23.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Desperado-01/photo-25.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/Desperado-01/photo-24.jpg[/img]

Thanks guys, I want to over seed this fall, my idea is to go over the whole lawn with a spike aerator, broadcast spread the seed, then go over with the aerator again to "drill" it in. Good idea or bad idea?

on the right track but second pass will not give enough change in outcome seed will fall in holes and on top the soil soil contact is the goal a plug unit would give better results if plugs left in place a top dress of a sort spent a number of years in sales for a major lawn care company at two branches have seen big changes to the good dong this to lawns now is IMO the time to do this

I agree with Jon. I do similar w a plug aerator. I think of the first seeding as somewhat "sacrificial". Cores from a plug make more places for seed to find soil, and, as Jon said, cores breakdown and mimic topdressing, which will tend to enhance seed contact. I would also use aerator multiple passes to rough up more soil, basically more destructive; but really it's just mimic of a new lawn with only bare soil. You end up with old grass growing, and new seed germinating. Note, the cores can also grow! Results are slow - esp. if you watch it. One day, you turn around and see new grass plants everywhere. It's all about thickening, and depriving weeds of habitat. I don't really know what a spiker type does - but if you can make it dig more, do it. I use a simple AgriFab plug aerator - size 40" - tow behind tractor with minimum 100 lbs weight on it to force it to dig deeper plugs. You can get by with less weight - it depends on moisture content and soil type and existing lawn density and existing thatch. Dethatch is a good start to expose surface. My yard is pure clay. I am continuously leaving everything, including leaves, on the lawn, and through aeration, I am trying to work organic matter into the clay - could take years to significantly modify the soil profile. It's a process. (same idea, only in my own words). good luck. Did you buy your dethatcher for the front? or modify it to fit?

Jason, I am planning a future project to modify my dethatching implement to a front hitch on my 4212LTG. It should work well with a future electric lift (waiting to be installed), and my tow behind spreader/seeder. Cheers, Wayne

The dethatcher is a NOS that I bought from a club member a couple of years ago, I can't remember who though dz.

My Pacer 1694287 has one similar on it; but it was custom fitted. (Pacer is an unusual mower w 'deck out front'). I've had some problems w the dethatcher, especially when I lost a setcrew that held one side support wheel in place, led to a bent wheel support shaft. It still works (replaced setscrew); but I think I need to do a setup on it - the depth adjustment seems to matter for smoother and consistent operation when dethatching. However the real 'problem' is I enjoy dragging the aerator around and getting more seat time on the tractor. sm03 And the tractor now dominates mowing duties; even tho it won't cut at 4" mowing height, like the Pacer will. And it won't get in close to things, like the Pacer will. I guess any excuse will do for tractor use. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• littlemarv
    • BLT
    • PhanDad
    • SmilinSam
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts