Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

Belt Size Problems

GLPointon
I'm very confused. I restored a 48" mower deck I want to use it on the restored 7116H and can't find which belt I need for the 48" & the 42" decks? The exploded parts lists show the 7116H uses: (1/2"x78" belt) #4L780 for the 48" deck (1/2"x80" belt) #4L800 for the 42" deck I ordered these & they are both too long. I use a #4L720 (1/2"x72" belt) on the 7010 with the 42" or 48" decks....what am I missing? ps...the above sizes are what the Simplicity #'s cross to for comparison purposes.

CarlH
You will need to sort out the vintage of the deck you are attaching to the 7116H. Decks for 7000 series tractors use different belts than decks for 7100 series tractors. The 78" belt you cite above is for a 7100 deck. I suspect you have a 7000 series deck.

yukon
check under the hood on all ive ever seen they have all the numbers you need for all the belts,paint code,and everything you need for that tractor. sm06

GLPointon
Yes I use Partstree also, their parts view is what showed the #'s I used to convert to the inch measurements, then I ordered the belts from an E-Bay vendor I've used before. they also list the Simplicity #'s that apply...
quote:
Originally posted by yukon
also check partstree.com thats where i get most of my information. good luck

CarlH
Gentlemen, You may be missing my point. If you are mounting a 7000 style deck on a 7100 tractor there is no belt number available in any parts book for this combination. The 7100 frame is longer and mounts the deck drive pulley further away from the PTO clutch than on a 7000 tractor. I have done this and I had to figure the unique belt length required. At the moment, I don't recall what length I used. I will look and see if I recorded the length I used.

yukon
now i understand i did the same thing this summer i had a 7000 deck and i wanted it on my 7100 sovereign heres what i came up with. this belt came from a tsc store

GLPointon
Thanks guys for all the advice but I'm still at the starting point.... How can I tell what vintage my deck is? Unfortunatly there was no tag on it when I got it. I ck'd BLT's belt referance on simpletractors and my 7116H with most every 48" deck uses a 78" belt and an 80" w/42" deck.??? so I'm begining to think maybe a PO changed the deck drive Pulley??? Because 78" is too long and 72" (I use on my 7010 w'48" deck) is too short. I just ordered 74" & 76" belts to try...sm00
quote:
Originally posted by CarlH
You will need to sort out the vintage of the deck you are attaching to the 7116H. Decks for 7000 series tractors use different belts than decks for 7100 series tractors. The 78" belt you cite above is for a 7100 deck. I suspect you have a 7000 series deck.

CarlH
7000 decks have 3 bolts holding the drive pulley on the main shaft. 7100 decks have a single bolt holding the drive pulley. Of course a PO may have swapped spindles:)

MysTiK
A couple years ago I struggled to find info on these decks. I ended up just assuming they were all the same - the decks, that is. That works for me, at least generally, and maybe specifically.(?) So between the late 70's and early 80's tractors, there was a frame change, which means either the pto is relocated, or the deck hangars are relocated, or maybe both relative to each other. (omg). That's all very nice discussion; but I think an accurate way to measure would be the thing, for this and other cases also. I've seen ideas about string and rope, etc. Bottom line, it's trial and prayer. Or someone has gone before. On my own deck, which works fine, I use a little bungee to hold the belt tensioning lever in place - just in case it drops and loses tension, and that has never happened. But I have been told my belt is too long, and that's how it seems like it might lose tension - it doesn't "click" in like it should. So it's tempting to try a shorter belt; but I don't know the exact length of what I have. sm00 Perhaps some of the best 'news' is that manual pto seems a little more forgiving, compared to electric clutch which is based on slam, slip, grab, and go. Also in my world, I broke my Pacer's deck belt. (my fault-duh. Do not mow your "Welcome" mat). New Simp Pacer belt is now $50. I ordered a crossed-ref Gates for half the price. I can't devote to Simplicity belts at that price. In the States, the same Gates belt is likely less than $20. @Greg - Surely one of those will work. Are you able to return belts that don't fit? I sure hope so; perhaps it depends. Tough area, for sure. It would not be easy; but some kind of database, or list of people's experiences with odd deck combos, would be helpful. There are many threads with similar problems; but having info in one area, would be great - it would take time and some organization - a lot of time and organization. Or it could be built over time with contributions in a special thread in Tek Tips. Sounds like "what fits".

midnightpumpkin
Greg, I buy my belts at the local NAPA, if I get one that does not fit, they are very good about exchanging it for one that does fit. For a 1/2 x 79 inch belt the NAPA number is 4L790W the W denotes a 17HP rated belt. I will be going through the same issues with my 17GTH-L and an unknown deck. John U

GLPointon
Thanks John, I'll post what size I find works. I think my deck drive pulley may have been replaced with a WIDER one(maybe 5/8"), so the belt rides lower meaning a longer belt needed...
quote:
Originally posted by midnightpumpkin
Greg, I buy my belts at the local NAPA, if I get one that does not fit, they are very good about exchanging it for one that does fit. For a 1/2 x 79 inch belt the NAPA number is 4L790W the W denotes a 17HP rated belt. I will be going through the same issues with my 17GTH-L and an unknown deck. John U

MysTiK
I ordered Gates belt today. Strange - the NAPA store close to me wanted $36. NAPA store in next town wanted $30. Called closer store again, got different guy on phone - he said $26. I said, "you da man". sm01 Had to order size from Gates, took 2 days. Went to pick up - price was 28. :D I thought 'close enuff'. Simp wanted 50. Also asked about trans filter. About 6.50ish. Asked if they had a longer filter, they did, and it was cheaper at about 5.50. I thought 'close enuff'. Bought that too. They said I could return a 'no fit' if I returned the packaging with it, and the receipt, of course. Fits great, works great, and looks EXACTLY like the Simp belt that I broke, by mowing my 'welcome' mat, as previously mentioned. (still not recommended).8) I thought 'close enuff'. sm03 Lessons learned - make at least 4 phone calls before ordering. :D And larger sizes cost less. :D And don't mow your 'welcome' mat. :D Keep packaging until yer sure. $ Also, keep packaging of belt, label it w mower i.d., and nail it to the garage wall for future reference. dOd