Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats AC Yellow worth? Think on this.

SmilinSam

At Dan Dexters private collection auction today a Big Ten sold. Original paint, yellow air cleaner, a little touch up work here and there- all in all not bad. No armrests, recovered seat and back, and mis- matched front tires....... It brought $1100.

Thanks Sam, now I feel better about what I pay around here, some of the prices I see on here turn me green. MPH

I dont think values for the old tractors can really be pinned down sometimes a guy can walk away with one for mere pocket change, and a month later and 50 mi. away pay thru the snoot for another one.....go figure! Dick

That little Windolph crawler I bought for $950 is only worth fixing because I like it. Every single bearing in the drive train is totally shot, the drive shaft spline is toast.....who know's how much it'll end up costing me. I'm only in it because it's a neat tractor. That, my friends, is priceless.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

And that is why trading in used equipment is so interesting. No two pieces of used equipment are in the same condition. No two sellers have the same motivation. No two buyers have the same motivation. The only way to determine the value of anything used is by what the seller is willing to take and what the buyer is willing to pay. I have paid many times more than others were willing to pay because I needed a piece of equipment, or it had parts I needed, or because I just liked it. On the other hand, I have walked away from "great deals" because I didn't need it or didn't like it. So, how do you tell someone what a piece of used equipment is worth..?

Have to agreee with Herb, the Landlord I paid 500 for was probably hi considering the starter/gen is missing, but the hydro lift blinded me and the OEM plow and OEM sickle mower just made 500 come out of my mouth as an off coment since I didn't even know the guy was interested in selling. Hoping the starer off the 14hp gilson that jumped in my truck last june will work on it...MPH

I have to say that herb made a very good point. I'm sure the guy who paid 1100 thought he got a great deal.It still amazes me how the shape of tractors can vary.We have all seen tractors for sale that wouldn,t even make good parts tractors.Then you get those backyard dimonds in the rough that can be picked up for a song.I guess it is all in what the buyer is willing to spend.

Another thing to take into consideration is how well a sale or an item is advertised. Dexters sale was advertised across several states, on the internet and by direct mail I'm sure, catering to the crowd that collects and has the money to do so. If this were simply a local advertising job I doubt prices would have reached that level. Back yard sales and placing want ads seems to yield the best bargains .