Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

36" Blower pics

rich_kildow

I have a 1691521 single stage 36" blower that I stripped down and refinished. I am working on putting it back together with new bearings but am having problems getting things seated right. The bearings don't want to seat fully in the collars...suggestions? The other issue is if the bearing flanges both go on the outside of the housing, inside, or one on each. I'm pretty sure on the drive side both flanges go on the outside with the zerk sticking in through the cutout. On the other side I'm not so sure though. I should have taken pictures but I thought I had it right. Could anybody help me out or post pics of the bearing flange setup on a blower like this? Thanks.

Here`s the parts manual. Not sure if it will help or not. I can get pictures tomorrow. Should be a bunch of pictures in the archives. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEDGP_duN5tG6Exj7mRgtLvBCd6

I think I have things set up right: drive side flanges both outside of the housing with the zerk through the cutout. Non drive flanges both inside the housing. The bearings are also set in the collars. I'm not sure what was wrong there, but a quick tap and they seated just fine. The bigger issue I have now is that the flanges don't seem to want to fit flush over the bearings. The bearing have cylindrical outer faces per about a dozen topics I found on here but it seems like they are supposed to be spherical. Do these flanges need to be driven over the bearings to get a seal to hold the grease? Right now there is a 1/4 or 3/8 gap and if I tighten it anymore they start to deform where the bolts are pulling.

Here's pics before I took my "new style" 42" blower apart to replace the "new style" bearings with the "old style" bearings that rotate eccentrically to lock on rather than than just set screws. The bearing plates are located the same way on all the blowers.

And for reference, here's pics of the "old style" eccentric bearings I installed. They haven't come loose after 1 season of use, although the blower was only used a couple of times last season. And I do believe the bearing are spherical. I had to replace one of the bearing plates on my set up because the "new style" doesn't have grease zerks; both bearing plates were "plain". You can see the grease hole in the outer race. The installed bearings didn't have the hole.

Brett, It hasn't had much use yet. And lives inside but it does get some sunlight when the garage door is open. ;) I got it mid-season '10-->'11 and only used it a couple times and had the "auger axial moving" problem. Installed the new bearings in the spring of '11 and then as I stated above, only a couple of minor uses last season. It's still waiting for the "big one".

It is set up right, which means I must have the wrong bearings. I ordered what I thought were matching bearings from a bearing supply house, but I think I used some wrong info on the outer race shape. Can anybody point me in the right direction for replacement bearings that aren't $25 a piece?

Some "gra100rrb + col" bearings listed on eBay at $13 plus shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Farfnir-Torrington-Insert-Bearing-w-Collar-GRA100RRB-COL-GRA100RRB-New-/300741747211

Thanks. I'm going to check farm and fleet tonight and then those will be the ticket. They carry bearings that look right and are "self aligning", so I'm guessing they are spherical outer races.

I think they are around $13 at TSC as well. TSC are Chinese bearings though. Not the Fafnir. I never had a problem with the Chinese bearings in the mower decks yet. The outer race is spherical.

Yup, there's my issue. I get the impression that the site I ordered the bearings from might be a bit fly-by-night...it has changed drastically since I ordered them and I can't get a customer service response. Oh well, I have bearing that can always go on Ebay and I used a one-time-use burner card number on the order, so nothing to worry about there.