Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What's Your Favorite AG Tire???

leeave96

There's been some recent discussion of ag tires, so I thought I ask a question specific to them - what's your favorite ag tire and why? I have a set of Firestone 23 deg tires on a tractor - which I have always thought to be the best ag tire you could get - and they make the tractor go like a Jeep, no need for a diff lock! Problem is - they have not held-up. They seem soft and yet cracked. Also, they aren't holding their diameter. They are balooning to a larger diameter with air pressure - sort of going round rather than staying relatively flat across the tread face. They are very pricey too. I've got another tractor with Carsile Tru Power tires on them. They seem great and to me will do anything the Firestones will - at a lower cost. I've got yet another tractor with Carsile Super Lug tires. These tires are old, hard and seemly worn out! But, I still get great traction, even when moldboard plowing. The tire shoulders are somewhat rounded vs the Firestones or Tru Power. I run ag's with wheel weights year round and see no negative effect on the yard during the summer when mowing vs turf tires. It also seems to me like you could get these ag's in 2 or 4 ply. Do you have a preference for either? I'd just like to know your thoughts on ag tires in addition to my own experience. Thanks! Bill

My 7790 diesel with the super lugs in my ditch wants to tip over. My Prestige with differential lock and turf tires does not. I like my Super Lugs. I like the Tru Powers better. I think I will buy my next set from the link below. http://www.greaterclevelandtire.com/servlet/the-Super-Lug%2C-AG%2C-Big-Biter-Tires/Categories http://www.greaterclevelandtire.com/servlet/the-2138/23x10.50-dsh-12-6P-BKT-Trencher/Detail

The BKT's will set you back $160 with shipping. I just paid $194 for 2 TruPowers delivered from here: http://stopandgotires.com/modelsize.asp?ProductCode='523367' I cant say if one is really any better than the other, only that the trupowers get rave reviews. If you want to see actual size installed, read my post "new shoes" They are NOT 23x10.50 in reality.

Any set that doesn't require my first born male child (at 27, Josh may have an issue with this)and a half dozen mortgage payments. 8D Actually a set of ag's is my goal (26/12/12 preferably), but I find it so hard to justify so much into tires in relation to the value of the actual tractor. New shoes all the way around get pricey. Need vs. want may be my issue. I don't have the extremely hilly lot, and I don't plow, etc. I have been looking for a set of ag's or rv's for winter blowing, and would be happy with a narrow set. But still, bux, bux. bux. Sigh. BLT's set is awesome, but I think his picture is now in the Post Office as to how he arrived at them..........wet shoes and all......

I'm still partial to the original 6 x 12's. Either by Firestone or Goodyear. I'm a firm believer narrower is better for traction, more pounds per square inch of ground contact, regardless of tire style or brand.

Dan, On the farm growing up, Dad always said narrow tires for snow and wide in the mud, seemed to work ok. Narrow would sink thru the snow and grip into the ground underneath. Wide kept us on top of the mud instead of sinking. I have a set of Carlysle tru-powers on the Allis, bought used with reworkable rims for $45 for the set. Bought them for the look, and like it. Still need chains for ice and snow with the blower, but looks nice. Now a set of tri ribs on the front, but no one makes them in the size I need that I can find, so not sure where I am going there. I also have no negative effects on lawn or anything else with the ags. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
Dan, On the farm growing up, Dad always said narrow tires for snow and wide in the mud, seemed to work ok. Narrow would sink thru the snow and grip into the ground underneath. Wide kept us on top of the mud instead of sinking. I have a set of Carlysle tru-powers on the Allis, bought used with reworkable rims for $45 for the set. Bought them for the look, and like it. Still need chains for ice and snow with the blower, but looks nice. Now a set of tri ribs on the front, but no one makes them in the size I need that I can find, so not sure where I am going there. I also have no negative effects on lawn or anything else with the ags. Steve
I agree to a point, that wide is better for floatation in the mud, in the woods, or somewhat "virgin" ground where there is no "bottom". Most regularly worked ground, has more or less a "bottom" to it. Hardpan under the softer ground that has been worked forever. There are times when you want to get to that "hardpan" for traction rather than float on top of the mud. Just my opinion

Ray, Some of those tires at Greater Cleveland Tire are 6 ply - WOW!!! I bet that will be a bumpy ride. OTOH, I can't imagine getting a flat. I'm wondering if this GCT is an internet only business. From time to time I travel near Cleveland and I could save a goodly amount of $$'s on shipping if I stop by there when I'm in their neck of the woods. Great link - thanks!!!!! Bill

The free ones change your mind real quick.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/WTcmowerDstnce.jpg[/img]
:D:D With the tires you see now and a hard surface, it is like riding a tracked machine. It rattles the teeth. Any ag tire for me is fine. I am not that demanding on them, more looks then anything else.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
I'm a firm believer narrower is better for traction, more pounds per square inch of ground contact, regardless of tire style or brand.
I'm here too...I like my 10.5" TruPowers, but had I not found a local deal, would have gone with 8.5's. My old 6" AG's on the 700 bite harder than anything else I have though...that tractor will flip itself over backward, on a wet, grassy hillside, before the tires slip the least bit. You would swear there is glue on them.... I haven't found myself in a situation where the floatation of a wider tire was needed, but have wished I had a narrower tire when pulling a plow. I just prefer the 8.5" tire in a 10" furrow.

I like the Goodyear 23x10.50-12 lug tires. They have straight lugs like the Super Lug but have at least one more lug (they are closer together) so they offer a good ride too. I get excellent traction. Never particulary cared for the looks of the tru-powers on a vintage tractor.

OK, I am the weird one is the group. It seems that I am the "only" one who likes the super lug tires better than the true powers. The rounded profile allows the traction to be changed for various surfaces by varying the air pressure to either balloon the tires or flatten out the tread. The true power tires are too stiff at the junction of the sidewall and the tread, so the pressure variation does not work as well with them. Also, I do not like the looks of the true power tires they are "too" square and really don't look right to me. Told you I was weird.

Heck Rod, I would have never said you were weird, but now that you mention it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just kidding! If everyone liked exactly the same thing we might all be collecting murrays! (Something that is REALLY weird!) Steve

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
I do not like the looks of the true power tires they are "too" square and really don't look right to me. Told you I was weird.
I like the look of the more rounded tires, too.

If you want different , go this route. Buy used ones of these real cheap. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121428&SearchTerms=choices

In looking at the link to Cleveland Tire, the BKT trencher tires seem very reasonable compared to Deestones, Duro or Kendas. So then I become suspect. Why? What's the difference?

I prefer my old Bridgestone Farm Lug M Rice&Cane lug tires. Much deeper than what we normaly see here in the states. Mine came from the front of a Japanese compact 4wd tractor. They are 6-12 in size, and are super pricey to purchase new, last I checked $132 bucks each. I got these used. I need to find a better set of rims for them, the one has back rust around the valve stem from PO having calicum Cloride in them. They are tubed now due to dry rot and a tear in one side wall that I had to get fixed, but they were free. Dont have a pic of them on the B1d yet, but here they are on a wheelhorse diesel project tractor that I had years ago. Mike [IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/000_1356.jpg[/IMG]