Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Necessity IS the mother of invention

rokon2813

The black thing is a wear bushing from a forklift carriage. Take one of those and a saw...

Cut off a couple small sections...

Attack it with a wire brush...The grinder gets too hot and it melts...

Use the saw and cut a groove across the top and walaa....

Stick em in here and go back to work :D:D

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Quick and cheep,,, me likey!!dOddOd How much time in labor did you put into those??
I probably have 45 minutes in the first one, trying to figure it out. Tried the bench grinder, air grinder, and file before I settled on the wire wheel. About 20 minutes in the second one, "refining" the design. After that, I can probably do one in ten minutes. :D I was going to "round off" the square corners, then decided why waste the additional "meat", maybe they will last a little longer with more wear surface. No idea what the material is, so no idea how it will wear, but based on what it "was" I'm hoping it wears fairly well. I have another unknown material that does grind, that I might try in the future too just to see if it works. My last pair that I bought (from a nice member here:D), wore out. However, in the last few weeks, I have been mowing a good bit of side hill, and didn't realize my leg was putting a little extra pressure on the shift handle. I "think" that is what wore them out

Awsome Dan...I have a hi-lo that has those missing so I have no pattern. Can you post any type of dimensions of what you made?? Thanks and nice job dOd

I'll have to measure them, I just compared to a junk one and turned the end down till it fit in the hole :O

"We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." (Unknown). Well, Dan, you just proved that it's true. McGyverism at it's best!:D:D8D

Greg; The square end is 7/8 x 7/8 x 1/2 long. The 7/8 is only because that is what I had on hand. It could be smaller. Overall length is 1 3/8, and the round end appears to be 7/16 diameter. I don't have calipers so those are the best numbers I can get with a tape measure ;) The slot is 2 saw blades thickness. Just enough to go over the steel plate. Sorry, best I can do :D The only dimension that is anywhere near critical, is the round pin size. Needs to be fairly snug, but still be able to pivot, so not too tight. Someone posted real dimensions of a proper pivot once upon a time, but I couldn't find it.

That will do great...Thanks Dan & nice job Thanks for the help sm01
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
Greg; The square end is 7/8 x 7/8 x 1/2 long. The 7/8 is only because that is what I had on hand. It could be smaller. Overall length is 1 3/8, and the round end appears to be 7/16 diameter. I don't have calipers so those are the best numbers I can get with a tape measure ;) The slot is 2 saw blades thickness. Just enough to go over the steel plate. Sorry, best I can do :D The only dimension that is anywhere near critical, is the round pin size. Needs to be fairly snug, but still be able to pivot, so not too tight. Someone posted real dimensions of a proper pivot once upon a time, but I couldn't find it.

Greg, There's a Pro/e drawing here: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109136&whichpage=2 On page 2.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• gwiseman
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts