Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quick question about snowblower

DanD

Just over a year ago I bought a 1691522 42" blower to use on my Sovereign and will be using it for the first time this year. I have the proper hitch to use it with the mid PTO setup. I just have a question about the belt stop that is on the blower. All I've ever seen is just the little wire that sticks down by the belt to keep it on the pulley. This blower has a large guard that goes a full 180 degrees around the pulley. Will it be able to be used with the Sovereign setup? It looks like it should work, but I just thought I'd ask to make sure there won't be any interference with the belt and that guard when the blower is down or raised. I have attached a picture of the guard in question. I can't find this guard in any parts list for the snowblower, so that makes me want to be extra sure it won't cause trouble. Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I have one with the wire and another like you have. They both work for me.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there would be no problems because I don't know what model of tractor this blower had been on previously and like I said, I couldn't find this belt guard in any parts book.

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The wire belt stop is part number 1667698. With the frame clip being on the inside of the tunnel it was on a small frame tractor.
Thanks again. I have a parts book with the wire belt stop in it, but I couldn't find the one in the picture any place. That's why I wanted to ask if anyone had used this on a Sovereign. Real life experience is always better than guessing!

Hello I have the same snow blower ,I got it last spring and have been setting it up for winter . It has the same pulley belt guard as yours But my pulley is reversed with the hub and set screw on the inside does it make a difference? It will be better to flip it now instead of when it's cold Thank's Ken in Mi

My understanding is that if you have an older Sovereign that uses the front PTO, you want the hub and set screw to the inside. This will place the pulley right in the middle. If you have a newer Sovereign and are running the blower off of the middle PTO, then you want it installed the way it is in the picture to keep the pulley farther to the left which results in better belt alignment. This applies to the Sovereign type tractors only. I don't know which way it should be for other models.
quote:
Originally posted by maxwood
Hello I have the same snow blower ,I got it last spring and have been setting it up for winter . It has the same pulley belt guard as yours But my pulley is reversed with the hub and set screw on the inside does it make a difference? It will be better to flip it now instead of when it's cold Thank's Ken in Mi

quote:
Originally posted by maxwood
Hello, Thank's, I have the newer sovereign and I will flip the pulley . This group is great! Thank's Ken in Mi
Well, this is something I learned from this site. I had trouble with the longevity of the belt on my new Sovereign when I put my old snowblower on it. The blower had previously been on an older Sovereign with the front PTO. I was eventually told to flip the pulley (which is how it is drawn in parts lists if you look closely.) Haven't had a chance to try this out yet with either of my blowers..am looking forward to the first snow!