Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gasification

BrendonV

Just watched “Train Wrecks” on The History Channel. Seems like carelessness and stupidity is nothing new with operating steam engines. Engineers were disabling safety valves and running low on water 150 years ago, blowing boilers, and killing people wholesale. Why fool around with these dangerous antiques..? Put them in a museum where they belong. If you want to get your kicks with something “new” and “different”, how about a gasifier to operate a tractor engine..? All of Europe was running engines on wood and charcoal during World War II. Seems this “lost” science would have a renewed interest, and a practical application with today’s rising fuel prices. Anybody in this club doing it..?

Just recently I saw an article in Popular Mechanics magazine about some school tinkering with gasification of coal to run an engine. Also I think there was some mention of using peanut sshells for the same purpose. With all the waste that is produced in this country, this would be a good idea as an alternate fuel for power plants and other factories and plants that require huge amounts of energy.

I personally would hate to see steam tractors end up in a museum. You miss 3/4 of what's neat about these machines. Namely, what they sound like and look like when running. There is no reason they can't be run safely if the operators know what they are doing. Maybe there should be an operator certification procedure like for electricians and so forth. Locking the machines up is, in my opinion, shortsighted. It's like locking up our beloved garden tractors because they could theoretically kill people. This message wasn't meant to be a slant against ya Dutch, just bugs me when folks go to the extremes.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

It goes with Steam Engines, like anything else. The human being having the ability to either be the "best" or "worst" ingredient. We have the capacity and the knowledge to do the right thing where machinery of any kind is involved. However, the human being has an inherent trait called " complacency". When we let our guard down bad things happen, whether it be operating machinery or driving our vehicles on highways. I'm sure we all have lost friends and relatives in accidents. The results are the same. It's the "human-thing". Marion Kerr

Back when Mother Earth News was a real back to basics magizine there were plans in it for running a pick-up off wood waste products, gasification, seem like it pretty well used up the back of the truck but I always thought it be fun to built one. think it was `news # 3 or there abouts..MPH

I was talking to a steam engine operator and he claims that the operator and the engine itself are supposed to be certified. Boilers are inspected on a regular basis to be sure these things do not happen.

On a practical basis I think that at the least, as the steam engines get older there should be some sort of inspection certificate issued and a re-certification. Would think that as they age we'll se e metal fatigue issues cropping up. I know that some clubs and states use state of the art techniques. Unfortunately that will place the hobby out of the reach of most

In IL, you have to have the engine tested and the operator tested, if not, you cannot show them, I am going to a steam engine show today, I hope to see some Case ones due that they are my favorite since I collect Case farm tractors, accidents are going to happen, that is why we have the term "freak accident" things happend to ferris wheels and rollercoasters, yet they operate after people have been hurt or even died, kinda like cars, just a thought,-BradW