Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rpickle

Help with a Briggs please

rpickle
Have this 7014s that came with a tired 16HP briggs. I had another that I had picked up at one point or another that supposedly had had its rings replaced... Anyway, I have transplanted this engine and have it running fairly well. It won't turn off with the key. It had a bared wire exiting the engine shroud near the carb. I tied the top post of the ignition switch (white wire on this) to it. It measures ground, so I figured it should kill it. It doesn't. So, I decided to get the model number off of the engine and I cannot find it specifically list anywhere. 326434-0140-01, it is very clear and easy to read so I am very sure I have it down right. Any idea what is so special about this motor? I am trying to get this tractor running so I can donate it to the cemetery I do part-time work for. They need something to pull a small trailer around with and I have a dirt blade that is going with it as well. Should be useful to the budget limited township.

GLPointon
If you just ground that wire while its running does it kill engine then? if so then your key switch isnt grounding that terminal, and if not then thats not the wire to ground the points...back-up,is it points?? You should get the engine wiring diagram to know what that wire goes to, sorry I dont have that sm01

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by rpickle
It had a bared wire exiting the engine shroud near the carb.
I tried a quick search but didn't come up with a wiring diagram for your tractor. Perhaps someone will post one shortly. But, if your 16hp is configured the same way as the 12hps, and I assume it is, then the wire that comes out of the engine shroud is supposed to run over to the points.

GLPointon
and to the key switch...
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
quote:
It had a bared wire exiting the engine shroud near the carb.
I tried a quick search but didn't come up with a wiring diagram for your tractor. Perhaps someone will post one shortly. But, if your 16hp is configured the same way as the 12hps, and I assume it is, then the wire that comes out of the engine shroud is supposed to run over to the points.

rpickle
Key switch is not original. The pin I thought was supposed to supply ground, didn't. Have that worked out now. Will be takin it to its new work place later this AM. Appreciate the help. Rick

GLPointon
I bought a new kew switch from E-Bay for my 7116 and it also had the terminals in a differant config than the oem one...But they are selling it as a Simp/AC part ngr2 I had to just use my old one that was still good....... Glad you got it & nice of you to donate a Tractor to that organization dOd
quote:
Key switch is not original. The pin I thought was supposed to supply ground, didn't. Have that worked out now. Will be takin it to its new work place later this AM. Appreciate the help. Rick

BLT
If you have product number 1690337, this is correct OM and has a wire diagram and that shows the ignition switch with a grounded body. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCyEN8coJ1rE3CNj5kbp796Dq

rpickle
Thanks BLT. I am not really sure what model the tractor is/was. The PO had removed any ident sticker and rather crappily repainted it. I bought it with a 16HP Briggs in it. It had the pod lights on the hood at one time. I think the guy listed it as a 7016, did they make a shuttle drive for that model?

MysTiK
1690015, 1690021, 1690232, 1690233 = 13hp = early 1974/75/77 = Shuttles w Pod Lights. also 1690252 = 75/77 (7013S shuttle, from "Parts Manual Model 7013S" - list of all these models is on front cover) (all of the above) also, 1690337 = 14hp = late model 1978,79 = 7014S Shuttle (Front Lights) AFAIK. no sign of a 16hp Shuttle. sm01