Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter/Generator hot...REALLY hot!

My freshly rebuilt starter/generator is working good. But when the engine is running, it gets very, very hot. Too hot to touch actually. It does this fairly quickly and I'm sure it's more than just the engine heat. The bearings are new and the unit spins freely. No other binding is occurring anywhere. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

I was told this happens because the belt is too tight. I have gone through a few starter/generators, all with bushing or bearing failure, on my 3416H. These units are supposedly very reliable, although that has not been my experience. Keep running it that way and it will soon lock up on you. Try loosening the belt, but since it already has gotten really hot the damage may already be done. Other opinions? Brent ---See message 4181. Would link to it but copy/paste doesn't seem to work and writing down the address is difficult left handed (I broke my right arm in 4 places the other day).

I would definately agree with Brent. I recently rebuilt my 64 landlord. After getting her running I also noticed my starter/generator getting very hot. I am one of those guys who overtightens everything. So I immediately stopped the engine and loosened the belt and that solved the hot starter/generator. I would give that a try as soon as you can to avoid any long term damage. GR-Made

I asked one of the electricians in the plant I work in and the first thing he said was what jimq just said in his reply. My electrician also said if the generator was rebuilt and the air gap was too small (he prefers .008 to.010) it could lead to overheating. Dick