Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunday Project

NandoG

Finally got a chance to fabricating the hitch for the Troy Bilt generator. I still need to make and attach the a belt tensioner. I do have to get a longer belt,this one is too short. I did try it out and it does work.
[img]/club2/attach/NandoG/IMG_20121028_204226 gen.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/NandoG/IMG_20121028_204234 gen a.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/NandoG/IMG_20121028_204443 gen b.jpg[/img]

Does it make Voltage? The reason I asked, Is in my prep for Sandy(Now knocking at our doorstep)I hung the old Pincor generator I bought with a Homelite years ago and never used it. Hooked it up, and no voltage. Have to flash the exciter coil using a corded drill, and it worked :D SO now if I need it I have two generators, the pincor 3600 on the tractor and the towable 10HP Dayton 4500w. Hopefully will not need either.

Nice job... I've always wondered how do the PTO Gens set the rpm's? For a generator to produce 60 cycles a second (60htz) they MUST spin at 3600 rpm... [60 cycles per second X 60 seconds per minute = 3600 rpm] I set a gasoline driven generator using an osiliscope yrs ago but nowdays you can get strobe/tachs much easier/cheaper. If its too low or high you can damage electronics. Did the Simplicity/Allis Generators have a tach??

quote:
Originally posted by GLPointon
Did the Simplicity/Allis Generators have a tach??
Just a voltmeter...
[img]http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/talntedmrgreen/IMAG0478.jpg[/img]

You've got to remember, when most of this stuff was built, Digital meant a finger :O Just making the right voltage is usually close enough for lights, and hopefully the beer fridge, and O yea the freezer to :D

Generators can be a pain in the ---. A couple of weeks ago I had to stop and do some work at one of the houses we are building and the City hadn't run the electric line yet. One of the subs working at the time was using a smaller generator that idled down when not working hard. Speeded up when you used a saw or such things. Batteries were low on my drill so I plugged the charger with two batteries in and because the draw wasn't enough to speed it up it fried my charger and both batteries. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Want a generator but will see how it works before buying. Am also wondering how fuel consumption compares- tractor versus self-contained unit.

FYI....In Europe they use 50htz which is 600 rpm slower than what we use (60htz). And traveling to those countries you will ruin your gadgets without a converter... Good luck sm01

Lots of newer volt meters have digital readouts with a cycle setting. I normally set my gen sets to 61/61.5 Hz. This should dial in to 60/60.5 under load and be as near perfect as you can get with an engine driven unit. Just a side note, you NEVER want to run anything made now under 59 Hz as it will load hard and could ruin lots of stuff.

Thanks Dave...That was my point sm01 do the operators manuals for the older PTO Gens address this setting & how to set it without an onboard tach?
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Lots of newer volt meters have digital readouts with a cycle setting. I normally set my gen sets to 61/61.5 Hz. This should dial in to 60/60.5 under load and be as near perfect as you can get with an engine driven unit. Just a side note, you NEVER want to run anything made now under 59 Hz as it will load hard and could ruin lots of stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
Generators can be a pain in the ---. A couple of weeks ago I had to stop and do some work at one of the houses we are building and the City hadn't run the electric line yet. One of the subs working at the time was using a smaller generator that idled down when not working hard. Speeded up when you used a saw or such things. Batteries were low on my drill so I plugged the charger with two batteries in and because the draw wasn't enough to speed it up it fried my charger and both batteries. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Want a generator but will see how it works before buying. Am also wondering how fuel consumption compares- tractor versus self-contained unit.
Just spent five days running my two Duro-Max 7HP generators. The gas mileage is around 2 hours per gallon. So that totaled out to 60 gallons per generator for that period of time. That comes to about $425 in fuel.(@$3.519 / gal). I do have digital inductive tachs available, but I did not observe the RPMS, although I did note that a good quality digital clock did register an inaccurate run time. IE not an accurate 60 cycle provided, across 8 hours. (it showed 8:40) Wayne

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Bill725
    • gwiseman
    • Chris727
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts