Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Harrow question

huffy

We bought an old IH 460 and a disc harrow to make some food plots at our hunting camp this year. The harrow had been sitting in a field for a few years before we bought it, so the discs were rusty and I broke some of them making the food plots. I want to replace all the discs, and I have a couple of questions: 1. The discs that are in it are 14" in diameter. The TSC by me doesn't carry 14" discs, only 16" discs. There's plenty of clearance in the harrow for 16" discs, and I can't see any reason why I can't use the 16" ones. Am I missing something? 2. The discs in there now aren't notched. Would there be any benefits/drawbacks to switching to the notched type?

The notched disks are for corn stalks that can pile up in front of the smooth disks. The notched disks "catch" the corn stalks and roll over them and cut them. Many farmers with tandam disk put the notched disk on the front row and the smooth on the back. Should not be any issue with the 16" disks, other than if you get into loose ground they will require more tractor to pull it.

The type of hole in the new disk could be a issue. Make sure the hole will or can be adapted to your cross axle and how it is fastened on. More than likely you will need to do some adapting here. Best take one of yours off and take it with you to compare it to the new disk. IF you get luck and if is a perfect fit, you have better luck than me.

If you're making food plots the notched disks will cut the ground up better,also look for an old cultipacker to run over the ground once you put down the seed it'll make it come up much better plus smooth the ground some.No reason not to use the 16" disks and as said they were probably 16" to start with.