Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC712H

Kohler KT17 series II with better oil pressure?

AC712H
Has anyone or is it possible to convert a series II KT17 with no oil filter into the more reliable series II model with an oil filter and the better oil pressure system? I just don't have the money for a newer engine.

Brettw
There is the KT series I, which had a pressurized system, but only to certain areas of the internals. The Series II added more journals and used pressure to lubricate more areas. Some of the series 2 had filters, some did not. There is a kit (about $65.00 I think) that allows you to remove the plate over the oil pump and install a filter mount in its place. I do not believe the filtered engine had greater pressure or any better system, it was better only in that it was filtered oil (which also helps cool the oil to some extent, and adds a small amount of additional volume).

maxtorman1234
To have full pressure like the series 2 engine, you would need the series 2 camshaft, crankshaft and rods, and probably the oil pump as the gears are different, and the relief spring. Also the camshaft bore plug is machined aluminum with an oring vs the pressed in plug. I guess it could be done, but as far as practical, I think the cost of parts is probably more than the cost of another engine, Maybe you'll get lucky and come across another one, there's plenty up here in Canada where I am.

Brettw
In your first post you ask about a Series II to a Series II with a filter setup. Are you actually asking about a Series I, the original KT engines? If so, that is much more involved than just adding a filter adaptor and setup, as Graham stated.

maxtorman1234
Ok, I re read everything and Brett's reply sounds more related to your question as stated, it sounds like youhave a series 2 already, and there is the kit for the filter, but the early series 2 (no oil filter cover) isn't any more or less reliable than the newer block with the oil filter, you just may want to change the oil more often. They should have exactly the same oil pressure, about 50PSI, you can check if you screw a gauge into the port with the allan screw above where the oil filter should be.

Kenzen
The series II addressed the series I oil pressure shortcomings. I can't recall in the "homework" I've done that adding the filter addresses reliability (other then longevity from having cleaner oil) - it's a full pressure system on the series II. If you're looking to increase the pressure to make up for wear/tolerances that have effectively reduced pressure (or backpressure to the pump), I'll have to defer to the pros. I have a series II in my DA917H - The oil gets changed 2x a year (spring and fall), and that's my reliability strategy. :D

maxtorman1234
I have a couple kicking around here I would sell shipped for half that price If you want one just send me a PM, thanks, Graham