Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

can' find grease zerks on mower deck

This may seem like a stupid question but I can't find the zerks on 2 spindles on my sunstar mower. The right one has a zerk on it but the other 2 have no zerk and after a good cleaning I can see no place where a zerk would go. Did simplicity make a greaseless spindle that someone might have replaced the originals with. If so can I drill a hole and put a zerk in and grease it anyway. thanks in advance for any replys. Kirk

Kirk-- hopefully you'll get some more responses but here's my take on spindle bearings. My 64 landlord is now on it's third set of bearings in 8 yrs. First time I used tapered rollers (same part # as used in General Motors cars front wheel brgs. of the late 1960"s) I greased them faithfully and they worked fine until water got into them being tapered bearings they're not sealed. Next I used sealed ball bearings with the seal removed from the INNER face of the bearing so I could give them a pump of grease. This worked fine for 6 yrs. They were getting a little noisier than I like this spring so I installed sealed ball brgs. again but left inner seal on thus eliminating any greasing, Most new decks are of non-grease type obviously using sealed brgs. So far the sealed brgs. are working ok....Dick

I can't speak to the Sunstar, but on my old Allis, two of three arbors do NOT have grease fittings and one does. The two outside arbor housings have been replaced and the replacements do not have grease fittings...