Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Low Oil Level & Motor Question

bowhunt4life
I was vacuuming leaves yesterday when I heard a little knocking in the motor of the B12 and could smell oil. I stopped the mower and shut everything down. I proceeded to check oil level, something I will do now before I even think about starting any of the tractors, and it was low and smoking. I proceeded to top off the oil level and the mower ran fine and no smoke of any kind or knock anymore. Will my engine be okay?

Willy
If it isn't smoking or knocking I wouldn't be to worried,but as Brett mentioned changing the oil would be a good idea. The old iron is tough and if it had gotten to hot you would have more than likely snapped a rod. Good luck Jim

HubbardRA
They will ruin the piston rings long before they ruin the rod. I had one that my son blew the oil fill plug out of when plowing snow. He found the plug and put it back in but did not fill up the oil. He finished the job and put the tractor away. Next spring I started to mow grass with that tractor and it was smoking like crazy. No significant oil in crankcase. I put new rings in it. (only thing I did to the engine). That was 15 years ago and it is still the best running engine that I have.

JohnMBerst
I check the oil as part of the pre work inspection. Good way for me the see oil use early and add if required. Winter work with the cab about every other time out. Also fourth the oil change.

bowhunt4life
The B12 will be getting the oil change saturday prior to finishing up the leaf vacuuming. I appreciate all the input. Thanks, Chris

cschmidt62
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I always check oil in every tractor before starting
In my teenage years dad would have beat me for not checking the oil every time! It is something I do to this day as habit no matter how new the tractor is.