Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler k-series (k301) interchangeable parts?

mbsengineer

I have a K301. The service manual I have covers many K-series engines (K91,141,161,181,241,301,321,341). I know each of these engines have many dissimilar parts, but perhaps the 301 shares some parts with some of the other engines ... especially the 2 larger models (321 and 341). Does anyone know what parts are interchangeable between the 301 other models in the series? Thanks!

As far as I know the K241 10hp, K301 12hp, and K321 14hp are all interchangeable except for the piston and rings of course. Most parts of these engines will interchange as well with the K341 16hp except for the head and head gasket, as they are larger on the K341. I don't believe the parts are interchangeable with the engines less than 10hp. Hopefully I wasn't too confusing.:D

Marc, I sent you two emails. One has a couple pages of info, the second is a link to the Kohler Service Manual for K-Series engines. You will find that the heads for the 10, 12, and 14 Hp engines are interchangeable. I don't know if the combustion chambers are the same size, but the head will bolt to all three sizes. The carbs will interchange, but may be different sizes. The bores are all different. The same crankshaft blank was used on the 12, 14, and 16 Hp engines. 14 and 16 Hp engines have the same weight pistons, so the cranks are the same. 12 Hp engine has a lighter piston, so the counterbalance weights have ground down more to compensate for the piston weight. If you swap a 12 with a 14 or 16, you will need to weigh both the old crank and the replacements and either grind weight off, or add weight to the counterbalances to keep the engine balanced. I don't think this information is in the manual. Size of the valves listed in the manual will tell if they are the same ones. If the camshaft lifts are the same, then the camshafts will most likely interchange. Most of the information you need is in that manual. I hope this will help answer your questions.