Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 oil leak

Tonyvdb

Does anyone know of oil leaks common to the kohler 17 hp in the 7117 tractors? I have a series II engine that leaks a lot but I don't see where its coming from. I thought it was a seal but I pulled the flywheel off and it dry back there as is the front of the engine. It was in a parts tractor I bought but it runs great just leaks oil. Maybe the best thing to do is just take it apart and put it back together with new gaskets and seals. I thought for sure once I got it out of the tractor and took the shieldings off I'd see where its leaking.

I have found the best (and sometimes only) way to find a leak is to thoroughly clean the engine, trans or whatever is the issue, and then run it again. You should be able to locate the source then. On the KT17, perhaps valve covers or between the block and cylinders?

Thanks Brett, I think that is what I'll do, maybe replace the valve cover gaskets first, there is a lot of crud on the top of the engine. I going to put it in a tractor that I'm restoring, well restoring may not be the right word, I'm taking apart and fixing anything I find wrong and repainting, then putting back together.

quote:
well restoring may not be the right word, I'm taking apart and fixing anything I find wrong and repainting, then putting back together.
Well, I call that a restore. Not a showroom / tractor show restore, but you are doing a mechanical and cosmetic restoration. That's my story at least, and I'm a stickin' to it.

Don't overlook that the oil might be being blown into the carb through the breather due to crankcase pressure, causing the oil to be burned as part of normal combustion. If the piston ring blow-by is strong (due to worn rings and cylinders), this can cause quite a bit of oil loss. Look under the air filter and see if you have puddles of oil at the carb throat opening. Ken