Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Frozen carb

Brettw

I took the time this afternoon to start to break down a KT19 Series II I picked up. I had already checked to see that all the parts moved correctly, but one item that was absolutely frozen was the carb linkage from the governor to the throttle plate. Not being sure if I had a frozen governor or throttle plate without removing the carb and disconnecting the linkage, I pulled it apart. Mind you this engine was not excessively corroded or rusty, and actually was generally pretty clean. Well, it was not the governor. In fact, every item on the carb is frozen. The choke valve, the throttle valve, the idle and mixture screws. Frozen. Solid. Inside of the carb and exterior do not show signs of and real corrosion. Brass on the flappers is bright, aluminum on the interior is clean. If you didn't know better, you would think somebody epoxied everything. Any ideas?

Dunk it in a good carb cleaner or lacquer thinner should help loosen it up. I use lacquer thinner works it good at removing varnish and crap and it a lot cheaper than carb cleaner.

Jim: I will get it freed up, but I wonder what caused such a complete freeze of everything. If it was all corroded and nasty I could understand it. You think it's all varnish? It had been sitting for a long time.

Unless the PO had problem starting and sprayed a lot of ether or alcohol in the carb, and then let it sit for months. When that stuff drys it can freeze/corrode especially aluminum parts.

it was definately the ehanol it causes a white rust on aluminium it looks like white powder and it gets in all channels and locks it up tight