Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Architectdave

3314H No Go

Architectdave
Hey all been a while since ive been on the board, I hopped on teh 3314H on sunday to move her and she started right up as always but I got no response when I attemtped to move her forward or back. Complete dead stick. I didnt have a lot of time to mess with her but here is what I know. Lever moves - Linkage is activating at the Vickers unit - Neutral freewheel lever is engaged for proper operation - fluid resevoir is full - Pump spinning - bevel gear box spining - No sounds of operation coming from vickers..... She worked last weekend fine, no signs of problem when I backed her in after pushing the leaf piles over the bank with the snow plow. What am I missing? Do I have a plugged inlet port or hose? Ideas appreciated.

JimDk
Dave, That is one of Vickers' mysteries. My HB-212 has done that several times. It usually moves after I leave it run in gear for a few minutes. My guess is a sticky part inside. After I do get mine to move, it operates kind of sluggish until I get it warm. You may have another problem, but it seems to be the same.

Architectdave
Ronald - Thanks belts are good and tight Jim - in my 40 years Ive never seen this tractor do this....very odd. Usually when its cold its groans and moves slow for a few seconds so Im familiar with what you mean but this is dead no go no groaning no nuffin.....:( I will fire her up and try again like you suggested. anyone else think of anything? I hate the idea of breaking her down just to check for a clog or something could be a huge PITA....

MysTiK
My bunch of thoughts: Freewheel not re-engaging? Trans fluid/filter change? Air in system/cavitation/purging/filter clog? Try rocking tractor back and forth to perhaps disturb something somehow? Warmup period? Leaks? It sounds like you checked it over well - I'm just reaching here for ideas. And you said the lever is activating the linkage right into the vickers. Last thing you did was reverse to park. Did you try mowing the lever full forward/full reverse?

MikeES
Is the tube axle spinning but the tractor is not moving...could be a broken tube axle or sheared key in differential. Axle not spinning? Could be a sheared key in the transaxle drive line.

Architectdave
Mystik - I will check all the items you mentioned, they all sound like more good ideas. Mike - seems like the Vickers isnt engaging, you know how you can hear or feel when your tractor wants to go but wont? Im getting nothing from it at all but will jack up the back and check for freewheel and broken parts. Thanks.

RickS
Dave Did you actually verify the freewheel lever is in the correct location, or did you just look at it? What I am wondering is if in the lever was moved slightly and thus the actual in the freewheel position (but not fully disengaged). I would suggest moving the lever first to the right (to disengage) and then back to the left to engage it. Once you have verified the lever is in the correct position try moving the tractor again. Rick......

Ronald Hribar
IF the belt is tight does the shaft on the transmission turn? not just the pulley but the shaft? or is the shift linkeage actually moving what it is supposed to?

Architectdave
Rick, the lever is tight to the case vertical but I will dissengage and reengage it as you described. Ronald, pretty sure but will verify the shaft is spinning as well as the pully and fan. Thank you for all the suggestions guys.

Architectdave
SO last night I went out and the first thing I did was rock the tractor forward and back a few times as hard as I could, she was locked in place tight like it should be with a hydro and on a whim got on it started it and drove her out into the yard.... I did nothing else and now Im even more confused than when it was not working....soooo....she works for nw I guess.. :/

JimDk
Dave, That is the Vickers Mystery that I mentioned in my post above. Mine has done that several times, and the fix is part of the mystery.:D I have had it happen a couple of times in a month and not again for a year.?? I know that there is a logical mechanical or hydraulic reason. Possibly, Bill Klein at Sandy Lake Imp. would have the answer.

Kenh
Maybe an oil change might do the trick???? FWIW, and a bit off topic.... Exmark has dropped it's recommendation to use Mobil ! 15W50 oil in their hydro-stats. Using the Mobil oil cuts the 500 hour change interval in half. They now have a branded oil that is thinner and is loaded with he correct additives for hydro use. It is also a full synthetic oil. Now to the meat of the post, I've had some "slow" hydro's work better when changing to this oil. I don't know if the detergents are cleaning out some gunk or it just plain lubes better. It might be worth a try. I would think any dedicated full synthetic hydro oil would be a good thing to use. Ken