Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB212 Voltage Regulator Test

Steve72

Hi folks---Apparently my battery has not been charging correctly and my Simplicity mechanic neighbor says my reg is bad. He deduced this by playing around with the points (closing them by hand) on the reg. after I jump started it. He could make it stall out by closing the 3rd post--or the one that runs my lights. We hit the points with some light sandpaper but didn't help--but not sure. Before I drop 90 bucks in a new one I was hoping I could just properly clean and set? the points to revive. Also I would like to get a volt meter--or what ever the correct name is---and learn to periodically check for proper charging of the system and how to troubleshoot myself. Didn't see much I could use in my thread search here so looking for suggestions. Thanks!

It should really be bench tested if possible as a combined unit. Don't know if you have a starter - generator repair faclity close to you. You are looking for a digital Multimeter and they can be purchased for less then $25.00. Radio Shack has them for openers.

Thanks Bob...so to be bench tested correctly it needs to be hooked up to a running engine/starter/generator? I thought there might be a resistance reading to look for with the below mentioned meter. I will head to Radio Shack to check out the multi-meter. Will this do/check everything needed on these old tractors? Can you check battery charge with these?

Steve, Give this a try... [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=224&LinkName=S/G%20regulator%20check%20and%20fix&CatID=30&CatTitle=&URL=http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96749[/url]

Thanx for that link, Wayne. Very interesting info. I'm wondering if that applies to my Pacer w briggs Intek 13.5. I definitely have some of the same symptoms. Now if only I could find the regulator, or anything else, on that engine. sm01 Could be time to get back to that repair manual. Funny, the intek shares manual with vanguard. Sometimes i go wandering in the tek tips forum - there's always something.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve72
Thanks I will head to Radio Shack to check out the multi-meter. Will this do/check everything needed on these old tractors? Can you check battery charge with these?
It will do what you need but amp flow and that you have with ammeter on tractor.