Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lookin to purchase a 7119

Kenh

It's been a very long time since I've been here. I currently own a 7116H that is in need of a repower. I have a snowblower (36") a tiller and a 48" deck in poor shape. Looking on Craigs list I found a 7119 with hydraulic lift that looks pretty good with a 48" deck and a 42" snowblower. The price is much less than a repower of my current tractor and it has a better deck and blower. Is there anything to look out for on the 7119 besides the usual BGB issues, leaks, smoking etc. If needed will the BGB from my 7116 fit the 7119? Thank you! Ken

Ken I did the same thing, my original tractor the 7117H needed a engine replacement. I looked around for a while and the best I could fine was going to cost me 400$. I found this 7119H on Ebay in central OH. The 7119 ran better and had a hydraulic lift. and for the extra 125$ I now have 2 7000 series tractors with ample spare parts. If I could just get this axle and starter problem taken care of. I'll be good to go. I must say these older simplicity tractors have a great cut and leave a better stripe than my Zero turn 50" simplicty, It just takes me 2 hours longer to cut.

Thanks for the replies guys!! I already bored the 16HP out to max after a broken ring. The bore job did not completely clean up the gouge in the cylinder wall. I suppose I could sleeve the engine but where do you stop??? A modern V-Twin is so much better and I think a tad lighter??? The rest of the 7116 is is pretty good condition, and it does run fairly well considering. Here is the link to the intended purchase if it checks out. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/3340582652.html Ken

I think the 7119 had the series 1 Koehler without oil filter And the series 2 is the desired motor Did they make a 7119 with series two motor ?

This is a later tractor with the spin oil filter on the transaxle. So this is a Series II KT engine (full pressure lube). The only issue with the engine is the breather valve on the right hand side valve box. They had some problems with the original design (there is an upgrade kit) of the breather valve. If the engine smokes a little or if it uses a little oil, there is a high chance it is the breather valve and no real problems with the engine. It should says Series II on the air cleaner cover. If you blow snow, you will find that 19hp is beast on the snowthrower, you will not want to go back to the 16hp.

The original KT and then the Series II are not defined by the oil filter. There are many Series II engines without the filter option, and in fact I would bet the majority are filter-less. Original KT and Series II engines both had oil pressurized systems. They differed in that the Series II added journals to the rod bearings where the Series I was a misting oil on the crank and connecting rods. To my knowledge, which may not be spot on. Now, most all of the Magnums, which are basically the same engine with electronic ignition, are filtered. Again, I believe.

I saved some info quite a while ago. Sorry no references; but I got it here somewhere. Info I have says that only KT17 had the series 1 or 2 issue. And the difference, or break point, is the spec number =24300= +. Meaning, spec # higher than 24300, is a Series 2 engine. I saved this as my personal 'rule of thumb' for possible future purchases. I can't guarantee accuracy. Maybe someone else knows. Maybe I got it wrong. Usually I save the URL info on stuff like this; but not this time. edit - found these threads mentioning spec #'s. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=115668&SearchTerms=24300 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113850&SearchTerms=24300

Brett, maybe you misunderstood me. I was looking at the spin on filter on the transaxle, which is a later tractor. Which means probably a Series II engine.

quote:
Brett, maybe you misunderstood me. I was looking at the spin on filter on the transaxle, which is a later tractor. Which means probably a Series II engine.
Ahh. Understood. I did have a 7117 Series II that had the remote trans filter though. Might have been an early or transitional model.

I went and looked at he 7119 today and wound up dragging it home with me. The 48" deck is in very nice condition with no cracks and even the bottom is pretty darn nice. The snow blower is very good also. I thought the BGB had a little excess play on the input shaft but Now I.m not sure. I just grabbed it an wiggled it. More investigating I guess. The hydraulic valve is leaking a bit. It leaves a messy underside of the tractor and there was a couple of fresh drip on the deck. I'm hoping just some new o-rings will fix that issue. The engine has a high speed misfire. I looked at one plug and it is soot fouled. Looks like new plugs as the bottom threads are bright and shinny. I was suprised it was a battery ignition. I'll check the points. That could also be some of the plug fouling but I'll bet it's from putting around. It starts like a dream so I don't think it's a serious issue. All the belts are good except the hydro drive. It is cracked but I just put a new belt on my 7116 so I can rob that one:D It doesn't have the sleeve hitch (correct description??) for a tiller but I guess I could rob that off my 7116. I don't know about the series 1 or 2 engine. No tags or stickers saying either way. I'll check the spec # at work tomorrow. It came with a fresh oil change on the engine. I'll drain and refill the BGB and check the hydro. May or not change the hydro this fall????? Now down to the nitty gritty:D I gained a nice 7119 with a snow blower and deck but lost $950 in the exchange. I feel pretty good about the deal. Ken THANK YOU everybody for your comments!!! :D

I believe the Series II engine will state it is a Series II on the tin and on the air cleaner. I don't believe there was a "Series I" per se. It was just a Kohler twin. From the looks of the Craigs post, I would guess it is not a Series II. Still, a darned nice unit and a fair price. Great score! And although thirstier than the Briggs single, I think you will really like the twin for smoothness and power.

I looked up the spec number on the engine (49130, ser# 13071172) and NOTHING came up on the Kohler web site. The series 2, starts at 49200 so I have to conclude it is a series 1 engine. The tractor serial number is 2630. Is there a place to look for serial Numbers to find a build date? Thanks! Ken edit: I did finally find my spec # on the Kohler website and I do have a series one engine. I think I found my source of fouled plugs also. The air filter shows no light through the element!

I have a 7117 with the series I engine and have never had a problem with it. Both engines are full pressurized oil systems. I think you will find it to be a nice engine.

Keep the engine full of oil...check it often, it only holds a little over a quart. Also the series I can be a problem when running them for some time on a side hill. They got a real bad reputation in the John Deere 317. I blame that on the totally enclosed engine compartment, ran too hot. I have a Series I that is still running great.

The hydraulic valve on my new to me 7119 is leaking. From where the leak is I'm not quite sure but would like to see the innards before I tear it apart. I'm guessing it's just an leaky o-ring. Does anybody have a link to an exploded view of the valve. I saw someplace somebody was showing a new one for $244+:O I'm hoping this one can be fixed for much less. Thank you! Ken Am I correct, once the valve is out, the tractor can't be driven unless you want to imitate the Exon Valdez oil spill?

I pulled the hydraulic valve out to the tractor today and the quad ring on the valve is hard as a brick. Well, not quite but you get the idea. Does anybody out there have a source for this quad ring. It measures .500 ID and .695 OD. Thanks! Ken

This may be old news to some and if it has been posted before I apologize. I have the hydraulic control valve the used a quad-ring for a seal as opposed to a traditional o-ring. I found a replacement at our local Caterpillar dealer. I left the P/N at work or would post it now. I'll get it next week and edit this post with the info. The ID of the quad-ring is .013 smaller but in practice it fits and functions just fine. The snow blower is mounted and she is ready to move some snow...... I hope we don't get any now:D Ken