Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TimJr

replace lug bolts with studs and nuts

TimJr
If anyone else has different sets of wheels and tires they change on a tractor, you know the lug bolts are annoying for lining up the wheels and getting the bolts started. I did this to my 7016 puller years ago, and just did it on my 18hp Sovereign. I have a set of ag tires I put on the Sovereign sometimes, and the lug bolts just annoy me. 1st, remove the rear wheels 2nd, get (10) 1 or 1.25" long 7/16-20 fine thread bolts. Or, there are actual screw in studs available too - they just cost more. 3 - run the bolts in from the inside of the axle flanges - add Red Loctite. Start a couple, and then use a long pry bar to wedge between them to keep the axle from turning. Tighten well. You may need to slide the RH wheel hub out a little depending on your bolt length. I had to - I used the 1.25" long bolts to have a few extra threads beyond the nut.

4 - Get lug nuts - I found them at NAPA - part number 641-2022. They use a 3/4" socket. They are a little bigger taper than the original lug bolt, but they do seat in the wheel. 5 - install wheel and tire - much easier now to just hang it on the new studs, then spin the nuts on.

MikeES
Great explanation Tim! I did the exact same thing on our pulling tractors because we were changing back and forth between lug tires and turf tires. Also I put a set of 3/8" spacers on the left hand side studs, so the center line of the tires are equal distance from the center of the hitch. I have not converted any work tractors yet because I just don't change wheels/tires on them (when you have enough tractors you have one for each chore and you have the matching tires for the job). :D

JimDk
I have two 7/16 x 2 bolts which I cut the heads off. I install them in two holes and use as guides. Install and tighten 3 wheel studs, remove the guide bolts and install the other two wheel studs. Quick and easy.

midnightpumpkin
quote:
Originally posted by JimDk
I have two 7/16 x 2 bolts which I cut the heads off. I install them in two holes and use as guides. Install and tighten 3 wheel studs, remove the guide bolts and install the other two wheel studs. Quick and easy.
Jim, I will keep that trick in mind for future reference. For now I just stand and watch Grandson, Johnny, as he changes the wheels for me! John U

JimDk
When your back is as old as mine, any little bit of help is appreciated.|) My grandsons are grown and gone, and my great grandson is a little too young to help. He is learning, though.dOd I do like TimJr's idea and had one tractor that I converted back when grandsons and I were doing a little tractor pulling. It worked great for quick change tires.

TimJr
I need to think more like Mike S - I need another Sovereign! I need to have another tractor for my extra set of wheels, not an extra set of wheels for the tractor I have. Tim

GrincheyOne
That'll speed up the "pit stop"!:o) I plan to do this on my '68 2110. I have a "supply" of nicely chromed lug nuts on my '84 Subaru SW. Wayne

HubbardRA
Been there, done that, 25 years ago when I first got into garden tractor pulling. Right now I only have one tractor that has studs. I didn't think it was worth the expense to buy the bolts and nuts for the other tractors, since I seldom change wheels. I used stainless steel bolts for the lugs and put chrome acorn nuts on them. I also have a couple of 7/16 fine thread bolts with the head cut off and a slot ground in them for a screwdriver. Stick them in the hub to hold the wheel till a couple of the bolts are screwed in, then remove them. Most of the time I only use one bolt at the top of the hub to slide the wheel on, then rotate the wheel enough to screw in a wheel bolt which lines them all up. A lot cheaper than putting in the studs, and almost as easy to mount the wheels. There are usually several ways to fix a problem, and more than one person will come up with the same solution independently.

GLPointon
ANOTHER good tip dOd....Thanks Bob I love how some of the easiest little things can save you alot of hassle later. ^
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
I just cut the head off a 7/16" X 3" fine thd bolt and screw it ito the flange and use it as a guide stud.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Ronald Hribar
    • simplewrench
    • R. McGee
  • Today's Birthdays

1. B-16_IC
      B-16_IC
      (46 years old)
    2. Flannelman
      Flannelman
    3. Glen112
      Glen112
      (71 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts