Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GLPointon

Head Gasket replaced....Simplicity Coronet H13

GLPointon
Remember this one. The guy let it go very cheap ($50) because it wont start and the Hydrostat trans has no power. Thanks to the advice of a few of you I decided to try a teardown, inspect & possible repair...

In the pic above I screwed an adaptor into the sparkplug hole so I can use the blowgun (below) to put air into the cylinder at the TDC of the "compression stroke". Then listen...if air comes from the carb or exhaust port then you have a valve problem, if it leaks around the headgasket then a bad gasket.

I could hear air blowing from the Head gasket below the intake port. The black burnt residue is also a giveaway... I removed the valve rocker cover to access the head bolts

I pulled the head

and there it is!!!

I got everything cleaned up ran to the Simp dealer & got a headgasket for $14 and reassembled and torqued everything.

She fired up and runs great. I found the Hydro/tranny trouble was just from a long key missing from the axle shaft to the right rear wheel. So the axle was spinning inside the wheel rather than turning the wheel.sm00 The PO had the wheel off and lost the key. I put the bagger back on and tried it...Mows & Bags great!!! I'm glad I tried it. My first vertical crankshaft OHV engine teardown. $14 for the headgasket and another $15 for a carb kit...not bad sm01

GLPointon
Your right Greg, its great for trimming around the shrub beds and trees. It turns on a dime and mows great, I got the best stripes I've ever made. :D NOW I need to decide what to do with it....
quote:
Originally posted by GregB
Nice mower tractor, my dad loves his. Pretty tight turning circle. Good for triming.

MysTiK
Careful, Greg; putting all that money into old lawn mowers. I mean, look what you did - you've got close to 80 bucks tied up in that thing now. What were you thinking? :O But again, I enjoyed the movie. Wha' happened - no blue gloves?? :( I like the blue gloves - they look so ... surgical. :D I learn lots watching you fix things. And this time more mech trix - air pressure - impressive. That was new and exciting. Is that a common thing to do? I also noticed the gasket blew where it was very narrow. Any comment on how it happened? or could be prevented? or just one of those things? Thanks for another great show w great pix! dOd

GLPointon
Thanks Graham, The air pressure is a common "old school" troubleshooting method. If you try it you do need to secure the engine. Adding high pressure at TDC (top dead center) will cause the piston to push down with force. I just wedge a screwdriver in the flywheel vanes (carefully) Yes, the headgaskets usually blow in the thin area away from the bolts. My theory is the high heat caused by the dirty cooling fins causes the aluminum head to deform just enough to no longer squeeze that section(farthest from the bolts)of gasket enough to keep it secure and hot gases blow by and instantly burn away the gasket........or it may just be a crappy gasket sm01 ps...I just bought a new box of blue gloves, I mostly just use them on really messy or toxic stuff ie; heavy grease, dirty oil, solvent, gasoline, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
Careful, Greg; putting all that money into old lawn mowers. I mean, look what you did - you've got close to 80 bucks tied up in that thing now. What were you thinking? :O But again, I enjoyed the movie. Wha' happened - no blue gloves?? :( I like the blue gloves - they look so ... surgical. :D I learn lots watching you fix things. And this time more mech trix - air pressure - impressive. That was new and exciting. Is that a common thing to do? I also noticed the gasket blew where it was very narrow. Any comment on how it happened? or could be prevented? or just one of those things? Thanks for another great show w great pix! dOd

GLPointon
Right, I don't think the seller took very good care to keep it clean/maintained...it was full of grass, oil, dirt...dz no wonder it croaked XX(
quote:
Originally posted by GrincheyOne
I noticed, that there is considerable build up of clippings in the cooling fins. At least there was LOL Wayne :o)

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• rbstuartjr
    • s_stephen
    • PhanDad
    • abu507
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts