Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Advise needed on starter/gen swapping

MPH

Decided I best check out the starter/gen on that 14hp gilson tonight, good news is works, bad news is cleaning the points and some carb cleaner I found a real nice running 14hp briggs. Wellll,maybe a 14hp Landlord is possible since the hydro is suppose to be bad, had to put the drive shaft back on to check it though, after all, it wasn't supose to run either. Nothing happenin, check the valve under the tranny,pop it down and I needed a seat belt,thing must do 15mph. Now my confussion is, do I want to rob parts off a good running tractor even if it is off breed??? Anyway, I want the Landlord going so I checked gen # against my 725 which is 1101945 2c 5, the 14hp is 1101824 0L 4. Anybody Know what these # stand for, and should I swap the reg out to?? Gilson is not as user friendly as Simplicty,think one might have to take the tractor in two just to get the regulator off. Glad I got it cheap. Thanks for any tips..MPH

My Landlord has a Delco-Remy Gen with a similar #. I would think that there is no need to swap anything as these should be a pretty standard unit. Let us know how it goes.

MPH, I wouldn't worry about swapping the regulator if the one you have is working. I agree, all of these things work the same and unless you are into fine deatils of regulator settings there won't be a problem. Ron