Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

spherical tie rod end - where can I find this size

mroman59

I am looking for a spherical tie rod end in which the bore hole in the bearing accommodates a 3/8 inch bolt and the female end has 7/16 - 20 threads to put on my 5/8 inch tie rod and drag link. Does anyone know where to find them? So far I have only found the following: 3/8 bolt hole with 3/8-24 female threads and 7/16 bolt hole with 7/16 - 20 female threads Other wise I will have to buy a spherical end which accommodates a 7/16 inch bolt and then drill holes in my spindle to take the 7/16 inch bolt. Mike

Not sure if you will find what you are looking for, but you could sleeve down the 7/16 bore in the bearing to 3/8 easy enough, or you could also drill out the 3/8-24 thd. and tap it 7/16-20. This tap would take a drill just slightly over 3/8 diameter. I would think drilling out the spindle would not be the best way to go, you are then committed to using the "not so standard" size unless they are reworked to the 3/8 dia. Just my opinion, of course. Steve

I think I am going to go with bearing bore hole that accommodates the 7/16 bolt with 7/16 - 20 female threads. I don't see any reason why these will not fit on my tractor and cause any clearance problems at this time. I However, since they are not the standard ball joint ends that you get with most tractors or you can purchase at TSC (i.e. bolt welded onto the ball bearing), I am not exactly sure how they are to be mounted and what other parts that you may need besides the bolt. Does anyone have this set-up and can you post a photo of your tie rod and/or drag link that you put them on or perhaps find a web link? Thanks, Mike

geez, now that I have chosen the spherical ball joint that I would like to buy, I can find the stud/rod/bolt that is designed to go in them. I thought you could use a standard 7/16 bolt, no threads at point of bearing. But now it seems like my research is showing a special stud which is cup shaped on the end and they were as expensive as the ball joint. I might be better off buying spherical ball joint with the bearing/rod all one piece, but I was trying to stay away from that design. I seem to make things harder for myself when I do these projects.

HI, The factory replacement ends are all larger and require you to drill out the arms and are replaceable and adjustable. They are so much heavier duty than the 3/8 and last so much longer. Al Eden