Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigten65

power snow blower shute

bigten65
I really NEED HEIP with this one. I read a lot of discussions on installing a GM power window motor for the snow blower shute. I had no trouble installing the motor on to the blower. Here is where my problem is. The wiring, I bought a dpdt spring loaded center off switch as recommended. It has six connections on it the motor has two connections I am baffeled on how to wire. Please, Please help. Sleepless in Colorado. I will post pix later.

Brettw
I believe the two motor connections are both hot, one for up, one for down. The nuetral or ground is the motor iteself, bolted to the frame creates the ground. The 6 tabs on the switch are: power in, ground or nuetral in, power and nuetral out for up and the other side for down (left or right for the chute, as it were) so only the two power outs should go to the motor. The two nuetral or ground outs should be grounded to the frame. Don't want to mislead you into burning up a motor, but I believe this is correct.

allis579
If the motor wires are as Brettw stated, then you would connect 1 motor wire to each of the end terminals and the 12 volt supply to the center. You will use only 1/2 of the switch if it is rated for the amps the motor is drawing. If the switch is rated for fewer amps then attach a jumper across the switch pairs. in other words, wire the 2 terminals on the left end of the switch together, the 2 center terminals together and the 2 right end terminals together. You can make a quick check to see it the motor works as Brettw stated by using your battery charger and touch the negative wire to the frame and the positive wire to a motor wire. If the motor runs, the try the positive to the other wire. the motor should the opposite direction as before. only hold the positive wire for a few seconds, if the motor doesn't run remove the wires. Are you confused yet? LOL Bob

bigten65
I forgot to mention, no welding with the help of the conduit connector and I put a couple of small nuts on the inside to take up the slop on the shaft end. And just used a screw on the other end to tighten on the motor gear. Did not have to relocate the shaft either. Works great.

BLT
You might have a problem with the rear strand wanting to hop off the take up spool because of the angle. A quick fix can be a stud coming up fron the blower housing to feed the cable at a lesser angle to the take up spool.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Bigten.jpg[/img]

bigten65
BLT. I understand your concern about the angle of the takeup spool. I got it wired up today and ran it back and forth at least 30 times and no problem with the cable running off. I have the tension fairly tight and I think that helps. Speaking of help, thanks to all that did. Even my wife was impressed how the rotator worked. I wished I could adapted that window motor to angle my snow plow.