Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

S.O.S.

SimpleMan

If alls well on your machine as you state, I'd most definitely seek an alternate source of springs. It's entirely possible Simplicity has procured a bad lot of springs from one of their outsourcing vendors. Here in Penna. we have chain stores such as Central Tractor which deal in almost all "common" parts such as springs, belts,blades etc. There must be something like that in your neck of the woods. You could even go to another brand dealer of lawn equipment (won't mention any names) and possibly find a near enough match to your spring. Having never seen a 98 Simplicity up close and personal I can't advise you on what mechanical malfeasance you should look for. Good luck, Dick

Hi to all. This is a continuation of a message I posted a while ago about broken tension springs. I'm completely at my wits end on this one. Here's what's been happening. On my 98 Sovereign the tension spring, used to tension the tractor pto-mower drive keeps breaking on me. As was suggested in the last time I mentioned it I have checked absolutely everything possible that could be causing this problem. These things are: Making sure that my drive belt is not too tight. Checking my bearings on the mower...they all feel perfect, and do not indicate any wear at all. Checking the movement on my movable idler bracket on the tractor, and also on the mower deck. They both move smoothly. Checking the rotation of both the movable, and stationary idler pullies on the tractor...they also check out fine. I have also filed round any of the places where the spring could possibly rub against. This includes the movable idler bracket, where the spring is inserted. The stationary idler bracket where the spring runs past (even though it never breaks there). Also, the tensioning lever at the back side of the tractor where the other end of the spring is inserted. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to matter which end of the spring breaks (random)...but, it always breaks at one of the "hook" ends, with no sign of wear...just a clean break. Like I stated in the begining...this thing is really getting to me. Does anyone know of an alternative supplier of springs? The spring on the older units was made of a different matterial, and I believe much more forgiving. I have not brought the tractor to my dealer because I know it will not act up while it is just sitting in the repair shop. Also, I was given the attitude of "well, at least springs are cheap...compared to a belt". ANY HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...AND I APPOLOGIZE FOR BEING SO REPETETIVE...BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO...THIS THE 8TH SPRING THAT HAS GONE ON ME IN 2 SEASONS OF MOWING SO FAR...NOT NORMAL AT ALL!!!!!!

You might also try adding a short link of chain to one end of the spring. This makes the spring longer and lessens the tension. If you do this be careful to maintain enough tension to avoid belt slip. My B-1 had a similar problem some years ago and this is how I solved it. I'm still running the the spring with the added "link". Roy

Many years ago when I worked as a mechanic I rebuilt an engine. Within 1000 miles the new camshaft wore out. I replaced the cam with another new one, but that too wore out. Again, I replaced the cam and new valve springs. When that cam wore out I went to a junk yard a got a cam from a used engine. That did the trick. Factory run of cams with soft lobes..? I don't know,,,,,, could be. So whats that got to do with your problem..? Buy one more new spring, but ask your dealer to swap it for a spring off another (older) Sovereign.

Hey Dutch...I already tried it, seems that the old springs are very hard to come by according to my dealer. But thank you for the suggestion. GordU ps..I will keep trying though.

Did you buy your Sovereign from that dealer..? If so, I would have a problem with his attitude, and I'd share my feelings with him. Anyways, I just went to Jack's Small Engines and looked up a tension spring for a 7000 series. The number is 157262 and the price is $14.58. The number for a 7100 series is 1666786 but that has been replaced by 1715435 and the cost is $2.90. Something doesn't sound right. Both springs are very similar, so I can't explain the difference in price or why the original 7100 series spring has been superceded. Why don't you call Simplicity Service direct, explain your problem and try to get some straight answers.

Well...here's the latest. I now have the tractor at the local Simplicity shop, to see if they can find anything wrong. At this moment, I doubt it, but, in this case I hope I'm wrong. I certainly would want to know if any other owners of newer Sov's, or equivalent models have had anything of the same problem. Around here there's not enough of the newer units around to make a decent judgement on the issue, (apparantly, I'm the only one with this particular problem). Hey, wish me luck!! GordU

The problem is that the spring end is over tempered and the metal is crystalized. Just take the propane torch and heat up the ends as much as you can (just befor red) and alow to air cool. This will remove some of the temper so it wont be so brittle. The same thing is done on flat recoil spring ends. Good luck John

I don’t know if John is speculating or knows some Sovereign springs have this problem. Regardless, John’s analysis seems quite plausible and his solution logical. If John is correct, either Simplicity innocently received a bad batch of springs from their supplier, or Simplicity accountants may be dictating to the engineering department (as happens all too often in manufacturing businesses). An accountant may not want to understand why a $2 spring is specified if a $1 spring will “fit,” or why a frame should be etched before painting. The reason is, those costly hidden details and R&D expenses is what separates the $7000 premium tractors from the $995 box store specials.

Hopefully, I've now come up with a solution that will work in the long run. Got the tractor back from the dealer today. They could find nothing wrong with it. So, I decided to put a heavier guage spring on my tractor. In fact, the spring that is used on the 7000 series Simplicty is the same length as the one I have on mine, but is made with a heavier guage steel. In conclusion, if this spring breaks...well, then I just don't know!!!! Thanks to all for the help. Gord U.

If you think the mower may be traveling beyond its limits you may want to check the spring length on different parts of the property extremes. Just drive over where the ground really dips. With the mower off but in the cutting position turn off the engine, get off and measure the spring length for comparison. The mower cable can be shortened to keep the mower from dropping too far if this is the problem. You should be using the "shorter" cable pin hole. Also note that if you run the throttle at 1/2 speed the PTO belt and system can vibrate quite a bit. If this is the case simply raise your throttle speed to at least 3/4.