Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JimV

Tires tires tires?????

JimV
In anticipation of adding attachments to my D/A 1920 and since i need new tires anyway i was looking to change from a 16-6.50-8 to a 16-7.50-8 front tire (Carlisle TurfMaster)mainly for handling the extra weight of a 2 stage snowthrower.Will the 7.50 fit on my 6.50 rim without a problem and will it affect my tractor's steering etc... can i do the same with my D/A 611HLT 15-6.00-6 to 15-6.50-6 Nubian

arnoldir
I swapped a set of 16-7.5-8 in place of 15-6.0-6 on my 6216 and they cleared, but it does take a little more effort to turn at low speed. You should have no problems with the tire fitting on the rim. However, I put a set of Ag tires up front for the winter and had great results with the improvment in steering control.

geezer
hello. the 7.50 is a good swap . the side wall will help keep the rim from getting bent if you may happen to hit something with the front wheels and it is only a total of an inch in width so your footprint will give better stability and flotation in soft soil. i agree with the ag tires up front though. but again it is a personal pref.

Kent
I personally prefer narrower tires for snow -- they cut through the snow and provide better steering. Wider tires will "float" on top of the snow. Narrower tires are also much easier to steer in normal, dry conditions like mowing -- especially at low speeds. If you're just concerned about handling the extra weight, you might try just getting an original size tire (that you know will clear everything) with a 4-ply or ideally 6-ply rating. These should have stiffer sidewalls, though the ply rating is actually for the tread area of the tire, not the sidewalls. (Some car/truck tires used to have a separate ply spec for the sidewalls.) JMO -- I've just mounted narrow ag-types and loaded them with fluid to provide better steering in snow...

martyhunter
I have ag tires the front of a B-10 and they work great,UNTIL I need the front counterweight.The high ribs on the ag tire rub the counterweight when I turn deep,and can LOCK THE WHEEL. Be careful!